Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Stuff Your Sorrys

So it's the newest list to hit the internet: The list of all-time TV catchphrases, or neologisms for my GRE audience (btw, 620 Verbal, 630 Quantitative). It's a very confusing, contradictory and memorable list. Of note in this list only 2 Seinfield quotes and 1 Friends quote. This is very disturbing because both shows are two of the most popular all-time. Several quotes they could've included but for unknown reasons did not:

"Stuff you're sorry's in a sack!" - Seinfield
"Giddyup!" - Seinfield
"Are you master of your domain?" - Seinfield
"We were on a break!" - Friends
"When were you ever under me?" - Friends
"Could ___ be ___?" - Friends
"Don't have a cow, man!" - The Simpsons
"To the moon, Alice!" - The Honeymooners

And this is off the top of my head. C'mon! (JOB, Arrested Development). And I'm not the guy in the $6,000 suit (JOB, again) but I could remember better catchphrases. JFK? A quote from a vice-presidential debate? Boston Legal? Are you freaking kidding me? Sorry but Denny Crane is no James Tiberius Kirk. And presidential speeches are not riveting entertainment and don't belong, no matter what you think of them, in the same list as "Cowabunga man!" (also, not on the list from The Simpsons).

There should be a standard for memorable quotes, like, do they play out when used in real life. I'll admit, it's not often when I stub my toe that I yell out "Ask not what you can do for your country"; to mock a co-worker that I utter "You, sir, are no Jack Kennedy". Actually, that last one I might start using -- it could be pretty funny. You know, even if they apologized for making this list so devoid of proper catchphrases, I'd tell them where to stuff their sorry's. See -- it works!

Any other quotes not mentioned?

9 comments:

kasi said...

Just browsed through your site. Some interesting and educational pieces. I've enjoyed my visit. And, as long as you don't mind, I'll come back.
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Kasi - What are you going to do if he does mind? I think you should continue to check it out especially if he does mind. That would really tick him off.

Of course, I recommend my site as well, which can be found by clicking on my name above (I know, I know... shameless plug).

Anonymous said...

"Because it's what Jesus was freaking do!" - Izzie, Grey's Anatomy

"I will literally be the old lady who lived in her shoes." - Carrie, Sex and the City

I'm surprised there was nothing from M*A*S*H. Not that I can provide you with one, but still, it seems like there was something memorable in there somewhere.

Glad "Moment of Zen" and "Good grief" made it though.

AaronG said...

You would think M*A*S*H would've made it -- good point. And SATC, never thought of that only because I've never seen it, nor Grey's.

As for Kasi, don't listen to levy, keep coming back...but he's right, if I said no, that would tick me off!

Anonymous said...

Bones to Kirk, 'D______it, Jim, I'm just a doctor!

Anonymous said...

Aragon to the Hobbitts, 'My friends, you bow to no one.'

Anonymous said...

"whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

AaronG said...

Different strokes was on there and I don't think LOTR qualifies as TV.

And I forgot one from Seinfield: "Get Out!" - Elaine

Anonymous said...

"Ha! I kill Me!" -ALF