Friday, November 17, 2006

It's Kind Of A Big Deal


You may have heard about this football game being played this weekend? If not -- shame on you.

I am not a college football fan -- for a number of reasons that don't need to be mentioned in this post. I have no allegiances to any college football program like I do the for Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics. But I am a sports fan -- a passionate sports fan. Plus I live in Columbus -- in the heart of Buckeye country.

So why am I wearing Maize and Blue today? Two reasons:

1) As mentioned before, I hate college football. Hate it. But being a sports fan I grew up watching this rivalry. From Desmond Howard's Heisman pose to Charles Woodson's INT, I watched the Michigan-OSU game every year. And every year, I pulled for Michigan -- with, perhaps on a season level, the exception of maybe the Woodson year -- I was a fan of the Bobby Hoying/Terry Glenn/Eddie George era. Such things happen in lieu of zeal (GRE word!) for college football. But, I have been and will continue to be a Michigan fan. If, only, because of my favorite athlete Tom Brady (have you heard about my Man Crush on Mr. Brady) -- and despite the allegiance of my most hated, yet respected, athlete Derek Jeter.

2) It annoys the crap out of everyone I work with.

Now objectively I think OSU will win by 14 points at least. For my job's sake (I'm producing the news in Columbus on Saturday night) I want OSU to win and make life easier (hey, it's the weekend!).

But: Go Maize and Blue!

7 comments:

AaronG said...

Bo Schembechler dies at age 77.

I revise my pick: Michigan wins -- barely.

Anonymous said...

Man crush on Mr Brady, huh?

You know I sleep between him and my husband every night? There's a picture of Tom and me on my nightstand. (For the record there is also a picture of Scott and me.)

Anonymous said...

Another overblown day in college football. If you existed in another world prior to your birth here and had the choice of pleasure or pain, what would you choose? Get out of Columbus for the day.

AaronG said...

Nice, sara, nice

mel said...

Oh how sweet it is!!! Does college football get any better than this? You can't tell me that was not the most awesome college football game you have ever seen?

Anonymous said...

WHAHAHAHA...just woke up, something about a fooseball game...the best ever?

DCZ said...

I too was rooting for Michigan. because I hate Bucks fans. But alas, my hopes for a come-from-behind victory were dashed in the last 2 minutes of the game. It's probably for the best though. Someone like Neuhart probably would have burned up my car in a blind rage if it had tunred out differently. So, go Bucks?