Thursday, November 02, 2006

FCC Won't Censor Me

On the radio today: more political ads. On tv the other day: more political ads. It's that time of year and I've seen political ads as much as I've seen the Coug do "Our Country" (which is a political ad in it's own right -- maybe I'll vote for him). Just about every commercial break is laden with them from fade to black to the fade in from black. In fact, my TV station
(where I work) makes up most of its operating budget this time of year. So it's paying the bills.

Did you know that radio is mandated by the FCC to air political ads? How does that make sense? I'm not sure if TV has to follow the same rules, but I'm guessing. So the government orders stations to play these ads for which they charge the politician. Again, how does this make sense? Shouldn't this be free then? And why is THIS a federal mandate?

And why do people give money to candidates? I never understood that. Someone please explain to me why people give money to candidates. The money would better be used by tipping your waitress a little more each time you eat out. Don't get me wrong, I love the American government system. Sometimes. Though we should introduce some type of House of Commons to one of the branches because THAT makes for entertaining television.

Remember to vote Tuesday. The polls are your only solace from campaigns.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love 'em or hate em', those campaign commercials are helping to pay our salaries right now.

And you're right, those House of Commons debates are awesome. Blair is clearly the "shiznit"

jdjones said...

People give money to politicians because the visibility of these commercials is both vital to election and expensive to maintain.

I'm Josh Jones and I approve this comment.

Anonymous said...

Good luck voting in Ohio next week. Don't forget your blood and urine samples.