Friday, May 19, 2006

Veni, Vedi, Da Vinci

Well the much-anticipated movie arrives in theaters today. Ebert's review was favorable. Entertainment Weekly...not so much. Can't say I put much stock in the reviews of the latter, however. But if you've read the book, you can determine for yourself how good the movie will be. After all, it was written for the big screen. What? You mean it wasn't a literary masterpiece? No. MacGyver could write a better book with a shoelace, matches and stick of gum. (The gum, mind you, to hold those intricate storylines together.) This is not to say I didn't enjoy the book. I read it rather quickly (about 2 days). And I enjoyed it. But I liked it for what is was. Like I enjoyed "Green Eggs and Ham". And I know I'll like the movie. But, please. Stop referring to this novel as the benchmark for fiction writing.

As for the controversy surrounding both the movie and the book (whether or not you buy into the fiction) Ebert said it best:

"This has the advantage of distracting them from the theory that the Pentagon was not hit by an airplane."

The thing of it is: if you want a good, literary masterpiece that's veiled as a detective/suspense novel, check out Matthew Pearl's, "The Dante Club". And, yes, I'm plugging him because his new book, "The Poe Shadow", hits shelves Tuesday.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ground for concern is that people will believe in this falsehood because Tom Hanks is in it. Many believed that Tommy Boy was really on Apollo 13 and that he fought in Vietnam (Forrest Gump. How many years did it take for Christianity to realize that Charlton Heston was not Moses? In years to come when DaVincie is on AMC or TCM there will be discussion on Hanks' new book, 'The Gospel of Thomas.' And Christians will say, 'Well, it must be true about Jesus because its in Tom's book'

Anonymous said...

Aaron, you are correct, it wasn't a literary masterpiece, but the story is fantastic.

Whether rooted in truths or not, Dan Brown tells a good story.

Anonymous said...

The book may have been a financial success for the author however, a dud as a quality work of fiction.
The book and now the movie will provide nothing more than bait for the bubba's.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was good readin'. I learned me some inneresin stuff about my lord and savior JEEE-HOVA! while on break from my job at quickie -lube. An' I was a english major at Brown! See? you ain't never too old to learn sumpin new 'bout Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»