Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Memory vs. Experience

I like memories. In fact, so much so, I look forward to new experiences for the new memories. Suppose that's not too unusual. By the time this week wraps up, it'll have been a week filled with both. Good and bad experiences. Good and bad memories. But do I have the right to look forward to memories before they happen? If I do, am I missing the joy of the experience? Experiences last for mere moments; memories for much longer. But our memories of experiences are tied up in the experiences themselves. In the way we felt, the way we looked at something from a certain angle. That determines our memories. And that's why I don't think I should be looking forward to seeing the forest through the trees. Otherwise, it might not be much of a forest.

The thing of it is: experiences can be horrible, but years later when we remember the experience, there's a new experience, one of time. Memories are four dimensional.

2 comments:

mel said...

I am starting a drinking game with this blog entry...every time you say "experience" that is one drink..."memory" is two drinks...I have a feeling I will be pretty wasted after reading it therefore losing my memory and going through the experience of trying to remember it.

DCZ said...

you've got toooo much, time on your hands! -tommy shaw