Saturday, March 03, 2007

Turn Around Backwards

Two years ago I was without a full-time job. We were living in an apartment in a sketchy section of Wheeling on virtually nothing. I had been unemployed for about 10 months, aside from 10-15 hours at the local GAP and 5 hours a week as a real-estate show editor for a cable access show. Again, in Wheeling, WV. Then a door opened up that I quickly shut, only to crawl through a window.

I was hired by the NBC Affiliate here in Columbus as a photographer. Then ONN called with a producer opening. The interview went well. I admitted I already had a job I was starting Monday, but I wanted this job. I would need to know by Friday at the latest. She expedited the whole process right there, assured me pending a drug test and confirmation from the news director, it was mine. And it was, two days later.

And now I am changing jobs again. I'll still be working at ONN where I love the people. But I'll no longer be a producer, I'm becoming a director. Here's the proof (the AG is me).

Two years ago was one of the toughest periods in my marriage, in my faith and in my life. No job, no money, no prospects. But I look back very fondly on that time. I grew a lot as a person. I was really blessed.

Now I look forward and to an equally uncertain future with a kid on the way (not here yet), grad school up in the air, and a new set of skills I'll need to learn. And when I look forward, I always feel it's a good thing to look back. To know where you've come from. It's the only way you can figure out where you're going.

THE TITLE OF THIS POST IS FROM A SONG. ANYONE KNOW WHAT SONG?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the move upwards
It is always amazing when we walk by faith, even when the the author is imperceptable behind the pages of life.

Anonymous said...

Producer to Director. How come? Better pay, better hours? Write me, let me know why and tell me how close the Mrs. is ready to bursting?

Mike

Anonymous said...

From my perspective, it's a bittersweet achievement. But nevertheless, congratulations.