Monday, March 05, 2007

On The Third Dimension

There is still no baby. It is now March 5th. The due date is less than one week away. Obviously, I'm thinking a great deal about this. To say it's always on my mind is an understatement. And, rest assured, when he comes, I will post about it. There will probably be some pictures as well.

But it occurs to me that the pictures will be lacking. There is that saying about them being worth a thousand words. In some cases, that is a conservative estimate. Especially if the picture is good. But there's something about pictures that often is lacking. It is, what is typically, and what I'm calling, the third dimension.

Length and Height are the first two. Pictures you will soon see will certainly elicit those two dimensions for you. But, as for depth, well, it occurs to me that no picture, whether held tacitly in the hands or not, will bestow that dimension upon the viewer. Such is the case here as I discovered laying awake at this late hour.

You will not be able to understand the depth in the coming photos. They will lack the essential quality of what makes something 3D (Now I could 3D the images for you which would be cool. And honestly, what happened to 3D? How did that not ever catch on?). This will be the case in both the tangible and metaphysical aspects.

I am realizing the depth of my love for this child. For my son. And no picture can capture it. And no word can hold it all in its letters.

As I ponder this, I am also left at the mercy of H.G. Wells' supposed Fourth Dimension: Time. And given my feelings towards the 3rd Dimension right now and this unceasing and insatiable desire to experience it by holding him in my arms for the first time, I am finding it hard to practice the mores of said dimension, namely: patience.

Tomorrow, may "I wake to the perfect patience of mountains."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night on our local network we learned of a birth in China. The little bugger shot out at 13-1/2 pounds. That depth I can understand.

djl said...

Patience indeed.

Shortly, you'll get to learn all about The Fifth Dimension: (Last Night) I Didn’t Get To Sleep At All

Anonymous said...

Dimensions of time prior to entry:

Breath
Push
Breath
Push
Breath
Shut-Up
Push
You did this
Breath
Push
Oxygen for the dad
Push
Push
Scream
Cry
Awe!

Anonymous said...

I CAN BARELY WAIT! IT ISN'T EVEN M KID! HAHA! I CAN'T WAIT TO COME UP THERE AND HOLD HIM AND AH IT IS SO OVERWHELMING!!! HAHA!

Anonymous said...

take it easy sam i am - your going to pass out and who know what will happen then - HAHA!

Anonymous said...

sorry! It is just so exciting! I mean Jenny is like my baby sister who is older than me. I would do anything for her. I love her and now she is having a baby! I'm so excited!