Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Deserving, Quiet Night

Caught Austin City Limits tonight. A show I frequently try to watch, but it usually airs about midnight every Saturday, and some nights I'm just too tired to enjoy the unique music. But I tuned in tonight 'cause Coldplay was on. Say what you will about them in terms of good music, but I like Coldplay. Clever melodies that stick with you. Music that always strikes the right now, grooves if you will. And lyrics that stick. Plus, the Scientist was a really cool music video.

Anyway, midway through the concert Michael Stipe came on for a couple of songs. I've always been a big REM fan. Especially since I spent all-night one summer listening to one particular song repeatedly with an old friend. A song, whose lyrics as I listen to them now, are eerie. And as I remember that night, I remember this song. And as I remember this song, I remember that night. Sometimes, music does that. It acts like an all-encompasing sense. When you taste, touch, see, smell and hear everything. All at once. And it takes you back and moves you forward all at the same time. Realizing where you are now, where you're going and we're you've been.

Well, as Chris Martin introduced the song, he said: "In my opinion, this is the best song ever written." Then, he broke into the piano opening of Nightswimming. I know I've mentioned it before, but I love this song. Now it wasn't the best rendition of the song. Lacking much of the emotion I hear in the album version. But still enough to make me close my eyes and remember that night where my friend and I debated life and love and everything in between. And some of the lyrics.

That debate settled on the line sung as "a bright, tight forever drum". We decided (in the days before Google and Wikipedia could settle any bet) it was actually "a bright tide forever drawn". Well, a couple of years later, still haunted by the song and hearing it infrequently, I submitted my school yearbook quote as "A bright tide forever drawn". Seemed appropriate, it being my favorite song. It being an obscure lyric that brought the whole mysticism of past experiences like high school together in one, solid line. Poetic, as I like to say.

Coldplay's finishing out with my favorite song by them, "Fix You". Great song. Kicks in perfectly. Just the right note. Then it drives through the end.

Some nights, like this one, like the one that street light on a camp road reveals fresh in my memory from years ago, I just love music.

9 comments:

Levy said...

I don't know if you're into the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I just picked up their newest album Stadium Arcadium, and it's fantastic.

Slow Cheetah, on the first disc, is truly musical and lyrical genius.

That's my two-cents worth on some music that is new to me, even if it was released almost a year ago.

jdjones said...

You know full well my love of Nightswimming. It's a song that makes you feel nostalgic from the first time you hear it and just keeps building every time after.

I was glad to see your son will have his proper exposure to it.

sara* said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Can't figure out Nightswimming. I think 'Losing My Religion' is a better song

AaronG said...

You, anonymous, you I thought I knew you. But don't worry, we're all "laughing quietly" at you because you don't get it!

But LMR is also a great song with a revolutionary video.

Anonymous said...

Let's see,, Red Beat Red Sox,, Buckeyes in the Final Four ?

Yeeee haa

Anonymous said...

I would compare Nightswimming to James Taylor's 'Up On the Roof' but not as nostalgic perhaps as REM. However, on a warm summer night, after a busy day and Boston traffic, there is nothin like a cold soda, Bay breeze, and this song (Not counting Sweet Caroline at the baulpak).

AaronG said...

Well, well said.

Anonymous said...

hey arron,
Try
Jack's Mannquin-Dark Blue
Tim McGraw-Dancing when the Stars Go Blue
Red Jumpsuit Apparratus- Your Guardian Angel
Hugh Grant-Way Back Into Love
Lost Prophet-Rooftops (kinda upbeat)
Hellogoodbye-Here(In Your Arms)
Blue October-Into the Ocean
Akon-Mr.Lonely
GooGooDolls-Better Days

hope that you might like them...

p.s.
I thought about my top 5 and i decided to change I like my new list better!

My top 15:
1.Jessica Alba
2.Scarlett Johansson
3.Kyra Knightley
4.Eva LaRue
5.Natalie Portman
6.Amanda Bynes
7.Allison Munn
8.Hayden Panetteire
9.Jessica Beil
10.Giselle Bundchen
11.Eva Mendes
12.Charlize Theron(looks like jen)
13.Avril Lavigne
14.Beyonce
15.Halle Berry