Friday, October 06, 2006

Questions For Dad

So the little one has past the 17 week mark. The Mrs. has started to feel the baby move. Apparently, our child doesn't like seat belts very much. Also, this means that the baby has the ability to hear the two of us. An idea and realization that is not lost on me. But I wonder if the baby has any questions for us. I suppose the situation is similar to my Questions For God...questions that baby would want answered when it gets here. Of course, I don't expect such questions to be as erudite (there's a GRE word) as mine were. Still, they may have their merit.

Based on the fact that the Mrs. is usually eating a pickle or two during Seinfield re-runs at 11:30, one question could be: What's the deal with the pickles?

Since I watch a lot of baseball -- especially in October -- another question may revolve around why Tim McCarver is such a buffoon. Although, I was really hoping FOX would bring back Scooter this year to explain what a curveball is to my unborn child who may be the only person who doesn't know what it is. But, alas.

Perhaps a third question would allow me to answer a question I have. Since I golf quite a good deal, I would not be surprised if, somewhere in the womb, lies the answer to my slice.

But amending that Questions For God post, I'm sure once the baby gets here those questions would disappear in an instant (and that's too bad because I could really use the golf advice, it's killing me), much like it will when we get to heaven (though I think that BlowPop question might nag me on into eternity). There'll be too much else to take in. Too much else to try and grasp. I know I have a lot of questions for the baby (and there's a pickle question in there). Questions I know will disappear in that instant.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imho, your child is indeed listening to all that you both discuss.
Please take the time to read aloud to your child the editorial sections of the Wall Street Journal and Investors Business Daily.

Anonymous said...

I say read the Chronicles of Narnia to the little one.

My parents are headed out your way (I still can't believe you live in Ohio) in a couple of weeks for the Circleville Pumpkin Show. They're really living it up!

djl said...

Two things:

1. Make sure your child doesn't watch ONN.

2. Tim McCarver is displeased with your negative opinion of him.

Anonymous said...

You might ask this question of Aaron, 'What did his Old Man read to him when he was in the womb? As I can best recall, it was an an autobigraphy of the fabled Maine fisherman, "Gadabout Gaddy.' He was great in catching fish and then talk about how he caught them. Gaddy was a natural philosopher seeing things from sides of life unknown by others yet made clear and simple to even the most dumbest creature of them all the 'city-slicker.'
It has worked!! My grand-child is going on the LPGA!!

AaronG said...

First of all, let's clarify (like any good philosopher) the old man's comments (also known as my father). We do not know the sex of the baby, yet. So the child good also qualify for the PGA tour -- even if she is a girl this is possible. And there's no way it's possible the other way around because there's no way I'm letting my son be the first to challenge the legalities of the LPGA ladies only tour. Second of all, I hate fish. This is probably why. Third, I love fish stories. This is probably why. As for seeing things as Mr. Gaddy does, well, I'd be tugging my own line, but yes, I'd say I do that.

And seriously -- couldn't you have read me Narnia or something? Natural philosopher is one way of saying you read me the autobiography of borderline crazy fisherman? We're you planning to follow that up with Carl Sagan?

Anonymous said...

To the first section...oops.
But it's fun reading you defend this position. I'll just wait with the other three grandparents. Like the three Darwinian missing links, I'll say, hear and see no gender until the creators inform us.
To the second part,at the time of your arrival, NIKE just happen to be what I did, formally and informally. Reading their Wall Street financials just didn't appear the right thing to do. At least with Gaddabout, your imagination wouldn't be caught on the material dropped-hook rather sore into the air like a fly rod sniping at the cool air of a Maine fall before hitting its mark. I'm sorry..what was I saying?

Steve Carroll said...

Holy Crap Aaron's Having a Baby!!! God i pray he or she looks like your wife.

Hey Josh and I are doing Peace of fruit this sundaqy the new Amish Version. where do you want the rotalties sent!!!

AaronG said...

To my baby's scholarship fund c/o Aaron Guest