Monday, October 23, 2006

O Felix Culpa

Basically, this means: Fortunate Crime or Fortunate Fall.

For all you non-Red Sox Fans, this week marks the two-year anniversary of the Red Sox winning the World Series. What a joyous, immeasurable moment and month October 2004 was. And this phrase aply describes the feeling of Red Sox Nation, and, really, is the only tenet a true sports fan must accept.

That for the true fan, you must be willing endure some sort of suffering -- some incantation of "The Drive"; of a "Buckner"; or an "Aaron Boone".

Thus, O Felix Culpa: a victory cannot be as momentously sweet if there is no sort of heinous fall -- Fortunate Fall. That the loss of innocence I incurred in '86 and '03 and even '04 was a good thing because of how much greater and sweeter the victory would be.

Without going into the sordid history of the Red Sox, I think my point is clear: I am thankful for Pesky, the Reds, Buckner and Boone. Because without those dark nights of my soul they gave me, the victory would not have been nearly as worth it. And was it ever worth it.

The phrase has import this year with the '06 Tigers and the '03 Tigers. Not that I'm rooting for the Tigers -- Grandpa and me, we're pulling for the Cards.

The thing of it is: hopefully, it also will have import on my Fantasy Football team this year. How else can I explain my 1-6 start.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron,
I'm not sure your analogy here holds water. First, comparing the Red Sox with JC is more than a little blasphemous. But beyond that, the "felix culpa" was the Fall which necessitated the coming of JC and the salvation of the world. The little falls of the Red Sox you mentioned only make the experience of winnning better. Big difference.
Eric

Anonymous said...

Somethings cannot be fully understood by others unless they also had the same experience

AaronG said...

Eric,

I see what you're saying. And I wasn't trying to make an analogy, per se. I was just trying to sound smart -- and you've disproved me as always. What I was trying to do was use the term, not how the term's normally associated and with whom it is normally associated with (i.e. I picked it up from the writings of John Wesley), but in a different sense.

I am saying that sometimes, being a sports fan, you must hold to the Felix Culpa tenet. That a collapse (read: Red Sox 2006) or a game or an historical moment in your teams past that had negative impact on your teams ability to be victorious will make the eventual victory even sweeter.

I see your point that the use of the term in these separate instances is very different and I must be careful. But I still like the idea of Felix Culpa and being a sports fan.

Anonymous said...

What`s all this Fleix Cupla anyhow
sounds to me like Fuzzy Logic
Cards in 6
oobm

Anonymous said...

I'll definately give you the fact that one must suffer with a team in order to also rejoice with it. I've been suffering with the Dolphins for a while now and I thought it would be my year. Still waiting.

Eric