Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Lake House

So when this blog was started, I said I do movie reviews. I've only done one. And I've seen dozens of movies since that one. Well, I watched one yesterday. The Lake House. An excellent film -- based on a Korean movie from 2000.

Without ruining the plot -- and really because it can't quite be explained, nor should it be, it just needs to be accepted as it is -- I won't get into the storyline at all. But it's sci-fi romance. It's Frequency meets Sleepless in Seattle. And it deserves your time.

I will use the movie to stand on a soapbox. It was a lachrymose (GRE word!) movie -- even for me -- a guy. And I'm not usually one for maudlin (another GRE word) entertainment -- and much of today's entertainment is. This wasn't. This was well-written; this was well-acted; this was well-directed. And it reflected what love is.

Guys: you can enjoy a chick flick without feeling emasculated. It doesn't infringe upon what makes you a "man". There's more than just beer and football in the world. And if my wife can freely sit (and by free I mean the libertarian definition of human freedom) on a Sunday afternoon and watch football with me without turning into that Dairy Queen commercial, then I have that same right. Not in "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" stereotypical sort of way, but that things in life don't have to be demographic specific like they want you to believe.

Anyway, the movie was great. I started to cry a little by the end. Maybe that makes me a girl. Maybe it doesn't make me a man.

The thing of it is: I do feel pretty today. Oh, so pretty. Wonder why that is?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This review was very disappointing. I never thought I'd read a movie review from you that didn't include the phrase "greatest movie you're ever going to see." Nice to see you work in the awkward two dollar (or GRE if you insist) words, as usual. There's still no way I'm watching that movie.

Josh

AaronG said...

Actually, once it was over I exclaimed how "great" the movie was. Even putting it up there just below Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -- the greatest movie ever made. But the Mrs. tempered that view and tempers most of my hyberbolic expressions.

But seriously...it was a pretty good movie.

Anonymous said...

So you almost cried at a movie that did not involve baseball or at least a catch AND you have a huge man crush on Tom Brady. I'm a little worried about you.

Anonymous said...

YECK! WHAT'S NEXT? TOM CRUISE AND MADONNA STARING IN A MOVIE ABOUT SCIENTOLOGY AND KABALLAH? THE MOVIE TITLE:

THE MYSTICAL LUNATICS

Anonymous said...

Take two Clint Eastwood movies, drink a beer and call me in the morning.