Wednesday, October 25, 2006

These Hands Are Ambidextrous, I Know

So I'm watching the World Series last night and, though I'm outwardly pulling for the Cards -- and I am Grandpa -- I'm secretly wishing nothing but the best for the Tigers. More so after last night. Turns out starting pitcher Nate Robertson has a very unusual trait (and no, for those of you who watched the game, it doesn't involve flipping a bat off the floor into your hands -- I swear, the way the announcers teased it you would've thought Brandon Inge was about to solve the mystery of Cold Fusion).

Nate Robertson throws left but bats right.

In my life, I've only known of three people to do such a thing. Myself. My father. Rickey Henderson. And my entire life I've always, ALWAYS been asked while playing softball or baseball: "Aren't you going to bat from the left?" or "Don't you throw lefty? Why are you batting righty?"

I'm not saying it's been traumatic or anything -- in fact, I probably have increased dexterity -- more than the average person even. You see I do just about everything with my right hand as the dominate hand, except throw and shoot and dribble a basketball.

The thing of it is: Perhaps the announcers could've have pointed this out. Not so much. Instead, Tim McCarver (who've I've already told you is a drunk version of Captain Obvious) pretty much said the following: "Robertson certainly throws left and bats right, and that's not a baseball in his hand right now, that's a bat, and he's batting from the right side of the plate."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carlos Zambrano of the Cubs of Chicago throws righthanded but is a switch hitter at the plate.

AaronG said...

Switch hitters don't count. There are a lot of those...and most are naturally left handed...I'm talking straight left handed, right at the plate.

Anonymous said...

It is a gift
Use it wisely, grasshopper.
What they see is not terrible,
It is what they cannot see that puts fear into them.
S'Paws and righty hitters
make fearsome lefty hitters

Steve Carroll said...

stop watching baseball the sox are out and it's football season the pat's are a sure shot for a good post season run!!!!

Giants
bears
colts
pats

any way you look at it Football is God's game!!!

AaronG said...

I'm not sure at all how football is God's game? But I'm posting on this right now. Thanks.