Friday, January 19, 2007

Some Musings

Thoroughly enjoying the new John Mayer CD "Continuum". Fantastic, really. Easy on the ears, great lyrics and more than a few songs with a groove. One of my favorites, like everyone elses, is "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room". Also, a big fan of "Gravity". And bonus points to Mayer's imperative inside of the album jacket: "If your listening to this with an instrument on your lap: get to work, and deep in it. We all need you."

Finished my third book in two weeks, all by Nick Hornby. High Fidelity was by far his best of the books. Of course, I'd seen the movie already -- also a very good flick.

Next book is The Life You Save May Be Your Own: An American Pilgrimage by Paul Elie. It interweaves the life of four, 1940s and 50s Catholic writers (The so-called Lost Generation): Dorothy Day, Walker Percy, Thomas Merton, and, one of my all-time favorites, Flannery O'Connor. The book examines their struggles with religion and art and discusses their approaches to writing. Thus far, I'm very intrigued.

So this friend of mine, the one who's blog I named, changed the name of his blog. No. I'm not bitter. Not at all. Though, I must admit, his new name, very strong. Meets the criteria. Check it out.

If you don't watch Scrubs, shame on you. Last night's episode was classic. Any song where you can combine diverticulitis and barium enemas (been there, done that. Sorry. TMI.) is instantly a classic. And what's wrong with hearing singing in your head?

This English Football team thing may have been a bad idea. One of the teams I picked, Newcastle, got drubbed on national television Wednesday at home, against a lower seeded team. Oh...and there's now accusations of racism against the team.

No predictions on the big game Sunday. Rest assured however, that I am in full superstition mode...even down to the way I shave.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am in full superstition mode. I have not taken a bath, shower or shaved since the end of the regular season.
My neighbors believe that I have become deranged or just a bum. I prefer the later in order to panhandle from them. Tonight, dumpster diving is in order to have food for the game on Sunday.
Pu Pu Pu, Go Pat's.

Eric said...

I actually watched Scrubs last night, a show I've only seen about 5 times, only one of those times not being a rerun. I'm not sure I have ever seen anything on television that even comes close! The show last night just blew my mind. And I reserve that phrase for special occasions. A television musical where the music AND lyrics are actually really good - who would of thought it possible. And so clever at the same time. Two words: PURE GENIUS.

Once again, I appreciate the shoutout to my blog. I do like the new name a little better. No mistaken overtones.

Eric said...

I forgot to say that I'm glad you like the John Mayer album. My mrs. gets annoyed at me for playing it too much. My favorite is Stop This Train. But I think I already said that in an earlier blog.

J Dog said...

Everything comes down to poop

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

SCRUBS WAS AWESOME!

It was hilarious!

Just remember Carla is Dominican not Peurto Rican and the baby is not a Blaxican!

sara* said...

Scrubs was genius. Genius. The best 30 minutes (well, 22 thanks to DVR) of TV I've seen in a long, long time.

And, I love her, but maybe Sarah Chalke shouldn't sing anymore.

AaronG said...

Funny. I thought the same thing about Eliot. I noticed they didn't give her much and what she did had required pretty much no ability to keep a tune. It's like they wrote it for me.

As for being genius...everyone is right. As much as a like Studion 60 and The Office, I don't think I've seen that great an episode of television in a long time.

Also, the thing I enjoy so much about Scrubs is it's always like a grown-up Aesop's Fables. Always with a moral to the story.

Anonymous said...

what would that moral be?

AaronG said...

That sometimes what you think you want isn't what you actually want or need. Oh...and...everything comes down to poo.

Anonymous said...

Robert Alter...great book, great author. Leland Ryken is also a good author.