Sunday, January 14, 2007

On English Football

Just to be clear: Go Patriots!

I've been thinking since last year's World Cup that I should really follow soccer more often. I really do enjoy the matches, the atmosphere and the "beautiful game"; the fact that if you don't do well you get relegated to a lower league. How inventive is that? I mean imagine if American pro sports did that. It means that the teams that are terrible still have a reason to play even if they're out of it.

I'll be honest, it's very confusing. Very, very, very confusing. Between the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup, premier leagues and Euro Premier leagues, my head's been spinning as I've tried to figure it all out. But as much as an American can understand it I think I have. So I've decided to declare an allegiance to an English Football Club. Namely one in the EPL (Here's a list of teams if you're interested).

The book "Fever Pitch" helped a lot. Though I won't be rooting for Arsenal. My plan is to pull for Newcastle and/or Fulham. The former because there's a drink named after the town, Michael Owens plays for them and they're not necessarily a "bandwagon team". That last quality was essential to my allegiance. No way I was jumping on board with Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea. As for Fulham, I might decide to root for them because there are a few Americans that play for them, namely: Clint Dempsey.

Now, for the moment, this is only a trial period. Not because I'm unsure if I'll like it. Truth is, I love soccer -- been playing it since I was 5. But if I'll have the energy to follow another sport faithfully -- like English Football deserves to be followed. So, for the remainder of the EPL season I'll follow these two teams and root for them, read match recounts and watch highlights and do what I can.

Can I spend my time better? Pr0bably. But I feel like English Football is something I should and can be a part of. And would really, really enjoy. Also another reason for the trial period is to determine after said period whether or not I can justify adding Fox Soccer to the DirectTV subscription we may get when we move into our new home this summer.

If you've got any suggestions, I'm a blank slate at this point -- persuade me. But, again, just to be clear: Go Patriots.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you publish any of your articles on sports?

michelle@sportingo.com

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

Oh and by the way...

GO ITALIA!!!

haha! Best soccer team out there!

Anonymous said...

Why not try an AMERICAN sport. Soccer is a plot to weaken and feminize the yutes of our once great nation !