Friday, January 12, 2007

A Long Night

So the Mrs. thinks I'm crazy. Which, at this point in the pregnancy, is that whole pot-kettle conversation. I admit to being slightly eccentric. Last night I read an entire book -- start to finish. I wrapped it up a few minutes before the Mrs. returned from work around 1:30am. And it wasn't a particularly good book. But it was worth the time I put into it.

The book was, again, by Nick Hornby called "A Long Way Down". For some reason I enjoy Hornby. Like I said, it wasn't a great book but I enjoyed it. It's about four people who plan to "top" themselves off on New Year's Eve but circumstance has it that they meet up. It's a dark subject but he and his characters handle it deftly -- and there are some fantastic characters.
He's a good writer, Hornby. Very good with dialogue. But the book was more akin to a Red Sox-Yankees game in mid-April. It's something you get geared up for and thoroughly enjoy but in September, you've all but forgotten about the game and how you felt about it. In fact, at that point, it's more like an dispositional belief. In other words, a year or so from now, I'll probably need to be reminded I've read it.
Perhaps because I was afraid I wouldn't finish it if I put it down ("Finishing a book proves nothing!" sayeth George Constanza). Perhaps it actually was good. Fact of the matter is I was up until 1:30am reading the 300+ pages I began at around 6:30pm (I took a two-hour break for must see TV Thursday -- I'm actually an efficient reader. Heck I've finished two books this week! I felt I needed to defend myself). The last time I did this was exactly a year ago -- with Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" (maybe one of my all-time favorite books -- top 10 at least). Back then, the Mrs. thought I was crazy, too.
The thing of it is: maybe I'm the only one this happens to but I actually got an adrenaline rush to finish it. Maybe I am crazy.
Anyway -- High Fidelity is next. Like I said, I'm enjoying Nick Hornby.

5 comments:

Eric said...

Aaron,
I hate to do this to you, but I've got to ask you a question that has nothing to do with your post. I just read your "complete profile" for the first time and found something strange. You like the Beatles? I roomed with you for 3 years and never once remember you liking the Beatles. In fact, I almost remember you NOT liking the Beatles. Also, why aren't the Foo Fighters on that list?

AaronG said...

How long has it been since we've roomed together? Five years? You don't know me! Anyway, I've always very much liked the Beatles. The Mrs. and I have gotten a few CDs from the library to in the past couple of years. Just because I don't own a CD doesn't mean I don't like them. In fact, I think me "not liking the Beatles" is a hallucination of your liberal conservative mind!

Oh -- even though it's not the Beatles, I do have a couple of Paul McCartney CDs -- so...there.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

Im about to read "Three" from Ted Dekker. I just finished the book that he wrote with Frank Peretti, called house. The book was amazing. It was dark and deep. It just really made me think. It was really cool how they used horror to get a point across. I'm more into the horror books that keep you up even after you're finished.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

Your Mrs. made it here ok!
She is really... well yeah! ok talk to you later

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

you can have your wife back now... she's not that fun anymore. ha

so nice game earlier! go pats!

Did you know that mom is a colts fan?
This is gonna raise some religious differences between you 2, but I thought that you needed to know so we can rub it in her face when the patriots whoop the colts!