Wednesday, January 10, 2007

On Musicians As Poets

It's not that I think you care. I know you don't. But I like music. In fact, I pretty much have to have music on somewhere at any point in the day. Last week working the overnight shifts I brought in the iPod and listened to music for 4 hours straight while working. And I'm not lying when I say I was working at my most efficient level ever here at the network. Funny thing is though, when I'm listening to music while doing something else, I hardly hear the music -- it fades into the background really.

All that said, I've gotten some new CDs in the rotation. First, I'm thoroughly disappointed with Damien Rice's lastest foray 9. Other than the title track and maybe two others, it's not very good -- at least not for my ears. No worries though, I've kept my musical interests within the United Kingdom (even my latest reading material is by a British author). And I am thoroughly ensconced in the music and lyricism of David Gray. Many will know him from that song Babylon -- which I never really liked until now. His two CDs you should pick up: Life in Slow Motion and White Ladder (featuring the aforementioned song). My favorite tune by far Ain't No Love(though The One I Love is sweeping and feels like autumn and is therefore a close second).

It's haunting. I like music that's haunting. Music that feels like it's just you, the artist, some musical instruments and a room with the lights off. Music that feels like your daringly craning your next over a precipice to see the crashing whitecaps below on a cloudy English morning. Music that gets your heart racing in that fearful sort of way. Music that feels like it's sneaking into a giant's house and your Jack. Music that, like a good book, is an adventure. I'm not much for just instrumentation doing that job. I like lyrics that do that. Musicians are, in some cases, poets. The good ones are. And like any good poet, they help me get my "head into the heavens."

8 comments:

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

My favorite songs are watching you, brand new girlfriend, honky tonk badonkadonk, face down, life of a sales man, believe, one year six months ago, your guardian angel, so contagious, your man, rockstar, fergalicious, tell me, say it right, maneater, beep, shut up, wait a minute, it ends tonight, move along, dirty little secret, this ain't a scene, it's an arms race, deja vu, and many more.

My favorite shows are My name is Earl and The Office which I will be
watching it tomorrow night on my BIGSCREEN T.V. IN H.D!!!

AaronG said...

You can't have that many favorite songs. Also, they can't all be so recent...save this list and in 15 years you can look back on it and you'll laugh. I'm kinda a music snob...I'll apologize now.

Also, big screen HDTV? Didn't think you had one.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

got one today!

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

how are you a music snob? you like your I like mine.

Eric said...

Aaron,
Music suggestion: John Mayer's latest, Continuum. Talk about haunting. Plus, the guy can play a guitar like nobody's business. If you want to itune it, my favorite tracks include but are not limited to:
Gravity, Stop this Train (favorite), Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, The Heart of Life

AaronG said...

Yeah...I'm thinking about getting that...I've heard nothing but good things about it.

sara* said...

You really don't like Damien Rice's new one? That's disappointing. I haven't heard it yet, but now I'm not so excited.

Saw Ray LaMontagne live again (headlining this time). It was haunting. It's not my favorite song, but it was the best version of Trouble I'd ever heard. You can watch his DC show here.

AaronG said...

No. It's not his best writing and the music sounds almost too hollow. I don't know, honestly, I've only listened to it once -- I'm kinda stuck on David Gray at the moment.

As for Ray -- I'll probably check out that concert here shortly. But awhile ago he did this version of Gnarls' Crazy. It was really, really good. If you google it you can track it down -- though it takes a little bit.