Thursday, January 18, 2007

And The Winner Is...

It's that time of year again. Time for my company to start applying for all these journalism awards. Needless to say it's taking up most of my bosses' time. And it all seems foolish to me. My bosses' have spent the last few weeks going through tapes for the past year, assembling the best newscasts, reporter stories, writing, etc.. And then we send our best to the awards' committees with a small fee per entry. Doesn't seem right -- that you have to apply for awards and pay to get them. This foolishness about awards is inane because the awards mean nothing. Who in your viewing audience cares that you won an SBJ or Regional Emmy? Is it the same thing as an Emmy? Did you apply for an Oscar? No and No. See. Who cares.

At the same time, I'm not completely against awards. I am against journalism awards however, but not against some awards. For example, every year at camp I won an award for "Worst Attempt at a Tan". My skin color was a dynasty, if you will, winning the award four consecutive times until they retired it. So, in honor of High Fidelity, a book I just finished, I've made a list. Here's my top 5 all-time awards I'd like to win (read:receive):

1. Super Bowl MVP: It's one thing to win a season MVP in any sport. But in no other sport (other than soccer) does such an award mean as much. You may not remember all the Super Bowl MVP's but you know that if you won one, you were the reason your team won the game.

2. The Man Booker Prize: It's a writer's award. Means you've written the best book/novel out there.

3. An Oscar: Not for acting or directing, but, again, for writing: for best original screenplay. And I've got several ideas...

4. Medal of Honor.

5. Best Dad: Only because you get either a really cool t-shirt and/or coffee mug.

So maybe only 3 of the 5 are realistic for me at this point in my life and my career. And it's not something I would certainly pay to win. Except for my kid...he may need to borrow a few bucks as a 4-year-old to get me that cup or that shirt.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please rethink your item #4.
You do not "win" the Medal Of Honor.
You are a receipent that "distinguishes himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of The United States".

AaronG said...

While you make a good point and I see it...the same could be said of all the awards mentioned though...that you are "recipients" and not necessarily winners. That they are earned...and that's why I chose the awards I did. Awards that are bestowed upon you and awards you necessarily don't go out and try and win. That you don't send in your best tapes to get the props you think you deserve. You set out with different goals in mind and along the way you receive these awards...They're all awards of recognition.

Still I see your point in regards to the medal of honor. My reason for wanting to win/recieve the award was the for reasons you stated. Perhaps there is nothing greater than to risk life for the "call of duty" in service to a cause so greater than oneself.

Phil said...

Even better on regional emmy, the local station we air our program on, brags they were "nominated for a regional emmy" Ouch.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

i got medal of honor. and medal of honor 2! sorry...
i think that we could get you a medal of honor though. actually all of these are achievable, accept for number 3.
No one could get a better idea than, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Napoleon Dynamite, or Boondock Saints.
I think you'll be a pretty cool dad though!

Eric said...

I received an award once because someone said I looked like Troy Aikman. I don't see it.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

who's Troy Aikman?

AaronG said...

He's a football player. Do what I do when I don't know something: Google it first. Or wikipedia it. But google it sounds better.

Eric -- you don't look like Troy Aikman...who said that. Want to know who you look like, try this site: myheritage.com -- it's loads of fun. I've got Hugh Grant and Paul Walker, along with Gavin Rossdale on my list. Seriously...it's a lot of fun.

Eric said...

So I went to the site. Its like the coolest site ever. I apparently look like Leo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Vince Vaughn, and Condi Rice. Ty was in the picture too and he got cool people like Nick Cage, Travis Tritt, Josh Groban, and best of all, Fabio (no joke). I did one with you Aaron and you looked most like Marlon Brando, but Tom Hanks and Brendan Fraser were in there too.

AaronG said...

I did it again last night and got different people...though I can't remember who. All I know is my Mrs. got Halle Berry and Katie Holmes. You, I think, were Bruce Willis and your Mrs., of the notables, were Katherine Hiegl and Katherine Hepburn.

Seriously...I could do it for hours. Killed an entire Sunday night a few hours ago.

Anonymous said...

I think we all know that the AP awards are for the advertisers first and foremost. And who needs advertising dollars more than "you know who"? But you're right. for the most part, viewers don't care who won what. They just want to know who crashed into the front of the store and will there be any wx-related school/business closings tomorrow?

And I'm only two descendants away from getting a "World's Greatest Grandpa" mug. I can't wait.

-Zac Hanson.

Anonymous said...

Best Award, 'Well Done...!' and let the dots talk for themselves