Thursday, January 11, 2007

On Why I Won't Tell'em Your Name

Recently, a friend started a blog. I was charged with coming up with the name for this blog. And I rose to the challenge, submitting a number of creative and interesting names. Here's the winner. Not my favorite of the suggestions, in fact one I came up with over lunch with him on a whim. But still carries much import and I'm rather proud of it. Because I want you to visit his blog, I won't tell you the name of it.

I came up with some criteria for naming a blog. Mainly because it's fun. And also because I like coming up with things like this. And I thought I did a great job with the name of my blog.

Anyway, my criteria for blog appellations were quite simple:

1) It must be representative of your blog goals.
2) Creative element. By this I insist it must have a rather poetic notion (I'm obsessed with poetic notions even though I can't describe it).
3) It must be, while not obvious, not obscure.
4) It must be a name with implications that cannot be easily exhausted.

His particular blog met all of these qualities. I maintain it must at least meet three. In case you're not familiar with the title, it's from C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia. But you must read the books to find out its possible meanings. The title certainly has a creative element and meets his goals he laid out to me for his blog.

Now take a look at my blog's title. It meets three of the four. Perhaps only a few of my readers will recognize the song I've pulled the title from. But it's representative of this blog especially. Because, quite often, little of what I say is of any lasting value. Like this post. I must be honest, I often gloat about my blog's title and how good I actually think it is. Perhaps someday I might explore it a little more. I've been meaning to do that.

Oh, and names that were rejected for his blog:
"That Long Saturday" -- perhaps my favorite, though, again, a little obscure.
"A Sea To Stretch Myself In" -- I came up with this one this morning, but it, too, may be obscure.
"Shoulders of Giants" -- perhaps too obvious a reference and also not indicative of his blog.
"The Thing of It Is" -- that was one I rejected for this blog but I was willing to sell the rights.

5 comments:

Eric said...

So you didn't want to "tell 'em [my] name" but you simply linked them to my blog which has my name all over it? I'm confused, but I greatly appreciate it. The more readers the better. I plan on posting again today. As for your post's title, my guess is (as with about half of your posts), you wanted to use a song lyric - yes I caught it this time. Goo Goo Dolls, right? I think about it all the time. Its lonely where you are, come back down.

AaronG said...

I didn't tell'em your blog name so that they'll have to visit the site to find out what it is in order to figure out what I'm talking about. How is that confusing? And you're welcome.

Anonymous said...

As you might remember, my blog used to be called Meaningful Nonsense-an intentional oxymoron, but I liked it...until I found someone else had taken long before I did.

So I changed it to These Are The Daves I Know. Not an original title, but I have yet to find another blog under that heading.

My thanks to The Kids In The Hall, in particular Bruce McCollough for the song that inspired it.

Eric said...

Oh, I get it now. Thanks. Twice.

J Dog said...

Hmmmm criteria for my blog name polkamonkey

1. Ummm my blog doesn't have a real goal so, I'm going to say maybe

2. Ummmmm it could be poetry

3. Damn

4. YES! No, damn it.