Sunday, January 21, 2007

I'll Know You By The Ringtone

So I've had to get a new phone after I'd had it with my LG Cingular phone. Between dropped calls and bad reception, it was time to part ways. Without much convincing I selected the Motorola RAZR for only $25. It's a great phone.

One of the perks of the phone is Bluetooth, which means I can link up my phone and my computer (iBook G4 w/Bluetooth). After a few google searches last night I found how I could send music from my computer to my phone. How is this cool? Well, if you have iTunes it's pretty freaking awesome.

In iTunes, there's a function that let's you edit a song based on start and finish times you manually enter. Then by a simple conversion to MP3's, iTunes basically copies the truncated song to your music playlist. Then you can export that 10,15,25 second song (or however long you want it) to your phone via Bluetooth.

So, what all does this mean? Well it means I've got some pretty cool ringtones that I haven't had to pay for. And that I can configure any part of any song to what I want that reminds me specifically of a person and then assign that, again, truncated song as that person's Ringtone ID. Here's my current list along with the part of the song I've used:

The Mrs.: "Trouble" by Ray Lamontagne: "I've been saved by a woman and she won't let me go.

eric: "Jimi Thing" by DMB -- the intro only, you played it ALL the time in college.

Dad: "It's the words Red Sox fans have longed to hear: The Red Sox are World Champions!" by Joe Buck. I'll fess up -- I payed for this one.

Mom: "Where You Are" by Bebo Norman: "The child in me would say, home is where you are."

steve: "T-Shirt Song" by Derek Webb: "They'll know us by the T-shirts that we wear."

mig: "A Little While" by U2: "A little girl, with Spanish eyes."

tim: "Into the Fire" by Bruce Springsteen: "Up the stairs, into the fire."

becky: "Piano Man" by Billy Joel: "Sing us a song you're the piano man."

sarah: "Mr. Tambourine Man" by Bob Dylan: "Hey Mr. Tambourine Man play a song for me in the jingle-jangle morning I'll be following you."

Obviously there are a few of you I haven't gotten to yet, like eric's Mrs., mike p., phil, OOBM, et. al. So if you've got suggestions, let me know and I'll get you on the phone.

Also this brings up an interesting idea for all of us. If we could be recognized by a song lyric, what would you want that to be? Would it just be from your favorite song? How would you describe yourself in song to be identified by someone else? Because, I have chosen these ringtones/songs as I did because I feel they best describe the person to me. Of course, it may also not be how such a person sees him/herself. But it's an interesting notion, that, first, we can be described as such and second, that different people would describe us differently.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new phone Aaron. The Razrs are pretty nice. I've been with Sprint for over 3 years and had the same phone the entire time. I decided to get a new phone after getting tired of my bad reception. A lot of people blame the carrier, but I honestly think it was my phone. So far I haven't had reception probalmes with my phone. I went online and read about it. The reviews are generally good, the main issue that people have with it seems to be the battey-life. But supposedly it has a 3.6 hour talk time and I think a 3 or 4 day standby life. But with my phone habits, I doubt this will be a problem. I don't use my phone to surf the net and I probably won't use bluetooth, but it's nice to know it's there if I ever decide to.

The biggest attraction of my phone? The slim design, no more pocket-bulge. It's literally the size of a credit card and I love that. The camera phone has great resoluion too...even though I probably won't use that much either since I just got a digital camera for Festivus.

Here's the phone I got, check it out.

http://www7.letstalk.com/reviews/reviewdtl.htm?pfId=1002&index=30&allRev=0&pagedReviews=1&sortReviewsBy=DefaultReviewSort

Anonymous said...

Also, if I could be described in song, right now it would probably be the theme song to Monk. But I don't think there's a ringtone for that.

Eric said...

Jimi Thing, huh? I guess I'm ok with that. Though may I suggest the following?:

Hero by Enrique Iglesias

Hero by foo fighters

Hero by Mariah Carey

Hero by David Crosby and Phil collins

Beautiful Boy by John Lennon

You're Beautiful by James Blunt

A suggestion for Phil:
Mock - yeah! - ing - yeah! - bird -yeah! - yeah! - yeah!

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

Any of these would work for Mrs. Little brother...

Party Up- DMX

Gasolina- Daddy Yankee

Rompe- Daddy Yankee

Sexyback- J.T.

So Contagious- Acceptance

Piano Man- Billy Joel

Honky Tonk Badonkadonk- Trace Atkins

Da Dip- Freak Nasty

The Bad Touch- The Bloodhound Gang

I'mma Shine- Youngbloodz

What You Want- ll cool j

Tell Me- Diddy ft. Christina Aguilera

*Shake- Ying Yang Twins

Pump It- Black Eyed Peas

Face Down- Red Jumpauit Apparatus

Everything That You Ever Wanted- Hawk Nelson

500 Miles- The Proclaimers

Death of a Salesman- Yellowcard

Maneater- Nelly Furtado

Best Years of our Lives- Bahamen

Accidentally in Love- Smashing Pumpkins

Ice Ice Baby- Vanilla Ice

Baby Got Back- Sir Mix-a-lot

Office Theme

I Need a Hero- shrek 2

Livin' La Vida Loca- Ricky Martin

I'm To Sexy For My Shirt

*Hungry Like A Wolf- Duran Duran

Stacy's Mom- Fountains of Wayne

1985- Bowling for Soup

Girl all The Bad Guys Want- Bowling for Soup

We Fly High- Jim Jones

Peanut Butter and Jelly- Cadillac

Time After Time- Quietdrive

Ok I will leave you alone to ponder these!

By the way Patriots ARE AWESOME!!!

Colts stink!

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

who is dcz?
I love monk!

p.s. aaron I googled him and nothing came up!

Eric said...

Sam, I feel dirty after just reading your list.
:)

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

Ok I changed my mind on my ringtone!

I would like...

Everything Comes Down to Poo

OR

Ryan Started the Fire

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ring.
Had a big fire thursday night.
Im a bit sad as the pats didnt do so well. I was at a gas leak for the last few minutes and didnt get to see it go down hill, just as well. Take it easy.

AaronG said...

Sam...

Seems you might have misunderstood me again. I said pick one song...maybe two...not list all your "favorites" and none of them seem to really describe you. Anyway, if I had to choose one for you...and I don't because you don't have a direct line to me, it'd be, at this point, Bon Jovi's "Something For the Pain"! Ha...JK. I think of something for you...

Yes...eric...he made me feel a little unclean too.

And bean...I can't even comprehend the depths of my depression over the loss yesterday...ugh.

Anonymous said...

A ringtone ID? I'll take the Sox ID...thanks, I would have like Seals & Crofts 'When I was seventeen' but who out there really remembers them.

On the PATS lost to that 'Let's get out of Baltimore in the middle of the night' Colts...good for Tony Dungee (sic). Both he and Luvy (sic) deserve the opportunity. On a sarcasm side, I get to see Al Sharpton and the Rev Jesse Jackson on the sidelines in two weeks...oh for a blind side out of bounds hit.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I understand the reasoning for my song. I have actually never heard it before, I looked up the lyrics though and am not quite sure how they are related to me, I will need an explaination :) love you...and yeah the game sucked huh..I was sad