Friday, January 26, 2007

On Malapropisms: A Eulogy

I've not had many nicknames in my life. Three to be exact. One of which is it's own story -- the greatness behind any nickname -- and really, only one person ever calls me by it. My last name not sufficing like it does for other guys, I've pretty much always been called Aaron. That is, until recently, thanks to my nephew.

Over dinner one night, struggling with the word ice cream truck he also got tongue-tied on my name, calling me Uncle Anna. I immediately sought to correct him. And he, in my haste to correct him, noticed how much I did not like that name and proceeded to call me Uncle Anna for next few years. At times it even descended into Auntie Anna.

My aunt passed away this morning -- my Nana's older sister. For most of my life, I knew her also by a malapropism bequeathed to her in much the same manner as my own, though in a time much before mine. She was my Auntie Apple. And growing up I knew her only as Auntie Apple -- cards and gifts were always signed as such. I don't remember even thinking of whether her name was 'Apple' or not until my teenage years when I learned of the malapropism. Her name was actually Ethel.

As she aged she longed to be called Aunt Ethel again. So we corrected ourselves. But it was not easy. We struggled with it -- it was a difficult adjustment for all of us. And we understood the malapropism for the first time. Cards and gifts also reflected Ethel's wishes. Perhaps I understand why she wanted to be called Ethel again -- much like I wanted to be called Uncle Aaron again (and incidentally I am Uncle Aaron again).

But this morning, when my mother called to tell me of her passing, her words were: Auntie Apple passed away this morning. When I told my wife: Auntie Apple died today. As I think about her in my head, I remember her as Auntie Apple. And when I think about what I will miss, I will miss my Auntie Apple.

I am my own nephew.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a nice eulogy.
DG

Anonymous said...

malapropism- incorrect usage of a word...
You were right Aaron. Google does have all the answers!
From 1st hand experience as an uncle, I know what it is like to have your name mistaken. Of course this is only when they accidently forget to say Uncle! I mean 3 letters how can they mess that up? S-A-M! Abby can already spell and wrote it! Did you know that I was the first family member's name that she said? Yup, that is me, FAVORITE uncle!!!

Anonymous said...

Aaron, Thank you for that piece about Auntie Apple, she was call thet 59 years ago because our first niece could'nt say Auntie Apple and she thought the world about you guys alway praise you at what you have all done with your life.
She will be miss. Thanks OOBNA

Levy said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Aunt's passing, Mr. Guest.

I just wanted to comment on a somewhat related note. My two eldest cousins (both of whom are at least 10 years my junior) in their younger days called my Aunt Karen "Uncle Karen." We don't really know why, and the second one was born after the first one had stopped saying it. Strange how those things happen. It's not a malapropism, but I think it's ironic nonetheless.

Again, Aaron, I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna miss you, Uncle Anna

Anonymous said...

Nicely done. Very appropriate and it sums up all our feelings and love for her.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

hey aaron go read my blog!
It has my indirect proof of God's existence. I think you might like it.

J Dog said...

I actually had a nephew and niece call me Uncle Jerm-e. Drove me insane for no reason. It actually got to a point my sister started to call me Jerm-e. I finally had to ask her to stop, of course it wasn't as pleasant as that. More like STOP IT! USE MY REAL NAME. So i feel your pain and sorry for the loss of your Aunt.