Friday, February 09, 2007

On The Things We Remember

Why is it that we seem to remember the most inane things? Perhaps this may not be the case for you, but I can remember who the starting first baseman was in spring training for the Red Sox in '93. But I can't remember one line from the greatest play ever written (King Lear). I know all the stats of pretty much anyone who's ever played for the Sox and Celtics in my lifetime, plus volumes of other useless information. A friend of mine can name the mascot for any Division 1 college. Neither of us can recite "Little Gidding", however.

I am much troubled by this because "a thing of beauty is a joy forever" (Keats), and as such poems and sayings of those who have gone before should be remembered. Granted, reciting a poem during the Super Bowl wouldn't have done me any good (not that my knowledge of how inept Manning is served any good in a room of Colts fans). But it still bothers me that I can't remember invaluable lines of poetry or Scripture, but can remember every line from Dumb and Dumber and know just about every line from every song playing on the radio at the moment.

With this as it is, I present to you, my readers, a new task. Here is your opportunity to pass on some sentiments. It can be a line from a song, a "quotable quote", line from a play or some words of wisdom. Limit it to a sentence. The purpose is to pass the sentiment on to our son -- maybe.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

'I'm not a Merry Man!'
Sir Worf of Klingon

Phil D said...

A happy family is but an earlier heaven. George Bernard Shaw

Anonymous said...

Learn to ski or snowboard and head to Park City, Utah.
DG

Anonymous said...

Learn to ski or snowboard and head to Park City, Utah.
DG

Anonymous said...

I stand on the shoulders of giants
Sir Isaac Newton

AaronG said...

Very Funny

Anonymous said...

My Bejingo's on fire
Elliot Reed

Makes you think, really think

Anonymous said...

Bleep, bleep, bleep...bleep, bleep, bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Bobby Knight

Anonymous said...

They's something kindo' harty-like about the atmusfere
When the heat of summer's over and the coolin' fall is here -
Of course we miss the flowers, and the blossums on the trees,
And the mumble of the hummin'-birds and buzzin' of the bees;
But the air's so appetizin'; and the landscape through the
haze
Of a crisp and sunny morning of the airly autumn days
Is a pictur' that no painter has the colorin' to mock -
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the
shock.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.
~Ray Bradbury

Anonymous said...

"Invaluable" is in the eye of the beholder.

Could it be that deep down you actually value lines from Dumb & Dumber more than poetry and/or scripture?

I wouldn't blame you. It WAS a pretty good movie.