Tuesday, February 20, 2007

60 86ed?

Turns out my favorite show on TV is probably getting the axe. It's unfortunate. Studio 60 is a well-written, intelligent show. I've blogged about this before. What's frustrating are the criticisms surrounding the show and its impending demise.

Many harp on the fact that it's a behind-the-scenes look at a sketch comedy show, like SNL. That America isn't really interested in the inner-workings of a late night comedy show and shouldn't really be. Other prevarications focus on the way the characters speak, that people don't really talk like they appear to in the show. That writers really don't know that much philosophy and literature and history. Still more find fault with the "romances" on the show -- that there are too many of them. Or that the show's too much like the West Wing and it's too close to when WW went off the air.

All these criticisms are silly. America doesn't care about a hollywood sketch comedy show? But America should care about Supernanny or Wife Swap? Really? Or that characters speak intelligently? God forbid we all speak stupid. Or that romances are a crutch and weak plot device? Yeah and sex as a plot device hasn't gotten old or become the easy joke. It's nice to see characters woo each other. Oh, and that people are intelligent. Sometimes there are more things to decide upon in life than whether to take the deal or not. There are actually books to read. And my favorite: it's a show too much like West Wing and because that show ended people need some time between shows that are similar. First, Sorkin left the West Wing in 2004. After that it sucked. Everyone knows this but forgets it changed completely in style. So it's been 2 years, not 2 months since the West Wing ended. Second, no one complains that Fox and ABC have the same nanny show -- that it's too close.

The problem is, and if people would realize it I'd be okay with it's cancellation, that the show's to smart for a vacuous America and that the consumer-driven, plot-thinned shows they keep turning out are just easier to watch. What's funny is that the show dealt with this possibility in earlier episodes. And no critique of the show I've read has mentioned that. That the show new from the beginning it would be a little bit on the erudite side of words.

Studio 60 isn't an easy show to watch. I'll admit, sometimes the writing isn't as good as I'd like. Sometimes it settles. But it's still better than every single show on TV.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother loves this show and one criticism launched at it is the show is too "idealistic". Also, many critics point out Sorkin's SportsNight(which aired on ABC) was the better show in the same setting. What is your opinion on SportsNight? Is Studio 60 too long? Should it be confined to 30 minutes?

AaronG said...

SportsNight was fantastic. All-time top 5 in shows. Much like Arrested Development, cut down in it's prime.

But it was prey to the same criticisms. Studio 60 isn't too long. I don't think it'd work in a 30 minute show at all. And I think it's idealistic, sure, but what's wrong with that? It keeps a pretty interesting dose of realism present throughout much of the show.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. When will people wise up?

http://dcznonsense.blogspot.com/2006/09/arrested-development-in-fond.html

Eric said...

Wow, someone asked Aaron about SportsNight . . . that probably just made his week. I remember in college you wouldn't shut-up about the show. Until now, Aaron's the only person I ever heard mention it. So I guess he wasn't making that up.

As for Studio 60, I think the real problem is that Chandler misses Ross and Joey, and if they'd just bring Monica back on the show I think he'd be ok.

mel said...

I hear you Aaron. I know you may not have like this show but I felt the same way about Commander in Chief which I do believe Sorkin was a writer on. It was a very good show. Different from all of the rest, but like you said, everyone wants to see the same crap on 4 different channels. This is the age of reality tv and I am sick of it.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

Ha Ha I laugh in your faces! No I'm just kidding. I really didn't care for Studio 60. Personally, I thought it was stupid.
Aaron, How can you say that it is the best show on television? It may be your favorite, but you can't say that it is the best. Besides, who forgot to tell me that you became the person the whole world revolves around? Is Studio 60 the most viewed show? No. It isn't because people don't understand. It is because everyone doesn't have the same interest as you. If they did! Then all the same shows would be on and there would no chance for new shows. Plus Studio 60 wasn't getting the best ratings and wasn't getting as much veiwings couldn't this hurt the company? Wouldn't keeping a show around that only a few people watch hurt the company? I think that all the people are really greedy and they just want the money. They don't care about you as an individual they only care about their rating and how much money they are going to make.
p.s. The Office and Scrubs are the best shows on television!!!

AaronG said...

I know ratings play a part, but they shouldn't play the whole part. Quality should play a role and my point is that it doesn't. that's why CSI and Criminal Minds are still on the air.

Also, Sorkin wasn't a writer on Commander-In-Chief.

mel said...

Okay, you will probably hate me but I got Sorkin confused with Steven Bochco. But either way, I'm still with you on this whole thing. I have not come across one person that watches the Ghost Whisperer but that is still on the air.

Anonymous said...

As a representative of Gage, Whitney LLC, I can assure you that Studio 60 will NOT be taken off the air.

Or maybe you're more interested in some tankers of the coast of Taiwan....only 49 million!!!

How about a high-priced call-girl in DC??

Anyway...we've been round and round about this Aaron. With this cast and Sorkin, it SHOULD be great....but isn't. And Bradley Whitford is playing his character too much like his role in Billy Madison instead of the Josh Lyman role. Oh, and they could use DonnaTella Moss!!!!!

J Dog said...

Me no want to think me want Howie to say Deal or no deal. Me like drama, you like stuff that make me head hurt.

I actually started to watch 60, but for some strange reason just stopped. I liked it, but Mikki hated it. That's probably why I stopped watching.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is bring back Star Trek with an updated cast, writing that mirros society on all sides, and imaginative hi-tech gadgets that in 50 yerars will become a reality. I'm still waiting for the pill that re-creates a kidney,

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

People still watch Star Trek?

Steve Carroll said...

it was a dumb show and the only reason you liked it was because you have a man crush on Chandler

Steve Carroll said...

it was a dumb show and the only reason you liked it was because you have a man crush on Chandler

AaronG said...

your dumb.