Thursday, February 22, 2007

An Impending Joy

There is a line from a familiar Isaac Watts hymn that goes "Repeat the sounding joy, repeat the sounding joy." We're not at that yet.

For a few hours early yesterday, we thought the birth might happen. It didn't (You'll know when it does). Our original due date is March 11th. As you know, it's merely February 22nd. So, the baby would be incredibly early. However, baby measurements and our calculations put the due date at March 4th. That's only a week or so away. So, all of a sudden, for a woman on her feet 10 hours a day, a first child, a February 22nd birth doesn't look all that early.

Yesterday, the Mrs. had an interesting look about her. For weeks now she has insisted that the baby will come in March. I have insisted he will arrive in February. February 23rd, to be exact. And, well, that's tomorrow. But last night she seemed, while not so much resigned to the fact, but had a peace -- that he's coming very soon. And while, for work purposes, she wants to make it to March, she doesn't think she will.

So there is this impending joy about our household. My writings in the past 24 hours have circled around it. Wondering when he will come. Will it be during the commercials? While I'm brushing my teeth? During an evening snack? Require me to take a midday reprieve from work? And, my personal, poetic favorite: Like a thief in the night?

He's coming. We're ready. And, I repeat, there is this impending joy standing somewhere just around a corner, just behind a street light, just behind the clouds. When will he come?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your impending joy is being shared by all.
When you all leave the hosiptal stop by a ski shop and get him fitted for new skis (I'll pay). Put him on a plane(you pay) and I'll take him down my favorite trails at Snowbird(my treat). Can't start them young enough.

Anonymous said...

Just don't watch any SCI-FI movies in the birthing room!

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

Yeah like Species or Species 2!
I shouldn't have seen those regardless.
I'm getting very excited in the arrival of my new nephew. I wish that I new his name. So I could say something rather than the baby is coming. I also get out of school to come and see the baby and Jenny, so Aaron tell the Mrs. to have the baby tomorrow or hold of until next week!
But I can't wait for him to be born. And with us living so close I will definitly be the first name that he says!

sara* said...

I love that she's still working! I admire that.

What kind of doctor is she?

AaronG said...

ER doctor. Though right now she lucked out and got an easy month -- no ER stuff, only 24 hour call and some days of sitting and waiting to be paged. It's been nice for her, to have any easy shift.

The only thing she doesn't like about being pregnant and working such long hours is she's usually asleep within an hour or two of being home.

And an update: after a doctor's visit today, we've found that no progress has been made, i.e. the baby's not dropped yet. In other words, we're no closer now than we were a week and a half ago.

but I'm still pulling for the 23rd...

Steve Carroll said...

Mabye God is stalling because he thinks You as a dad is as funny as the rest of us think it is!!!

J Dog said...

I've always have heard the first will usually be late... sooooo, if the baby is born on March 16th (my birthday) I think I should get to name the little one. I'm thinking Engelbert, it's a name that can go either way.

sam accounted for and medkits are ready said...

haha! Guess it isn't gonna be the 23.

sara* said...

I'm still trying to cope with Steve Carroll up there as a father... You I trust.

:)

Anonymous said...

Steve Carroll
Aaron Guest

products of Alien Outreach

Hello Art Bell
And they are multiplying
RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN