Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentines

Had a lovely valentines day. Chinese food (I had the orange chicken). A movie (Marie Antionette). And the Mrs.

It's been our V-day tradition for years now. Chinese and a bad movie. Well, not necessarily a bad movie, but not really a good one and one you remember because it wasn't great, it was just different. Case in point, movies for past days: Meet Joe Black, The Postman, The Good Girl, Marie Antionette. I happened to really like all of the films...but they were only memorable because they fit the V-day tradition. Had I watched them on any other day, I would've ceased to remember them.

On top of this tradition, the Mrs. and I have another unspoken one where we each by a card or gift for the other even though we say no gifts. I got her a rose and a simple card with a hand-written message. She got me a card with the perfect message written on it.

It's not dressing up and going out. It's not showing up at work with a bouqet dressed like a knight (in shining armor of course, not like a Paul McCartney or Anthony Hopkins knight). It's not any sort of grand sweeping gesture the movies tell you you need to make.

Our valentine's day traditions are indicative of us. Our love for each other is in the small things. In a simple rose. In a simple card. In holding each other's hands. In sitting in the same room with each other. In a slight glance away when the other catches you looking.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had a lovely day here in Maine a card a small gift a Blue Berry Muffin a hot cup of coffe and watch it Snow
oobm

Anonymous said...

What's this "Valentine's Day" you speak of?

sara* said...

I enjoyed Marie Antoinette ... it was pretty if nothing else. But I'm sure "pretty" isn't what you look for in a movie.

Those are best Valentine's Days out there. We had a similar one :) Maybe just a little snow/sleet/rainier though here in Boston.

Anonymous said...

So you're saying you two are like an old couple, and you haven't had your first kid yet! Funny!!

Steve Carroll said...

I was missarible it snow and my PajamaGram did arrive Garrunteed VDay delevery my FOOT