Sunday, June 04, 2006

Games People Play

Along with a friend, I recently invented a new game. And then, we invented a new game on top of that. It wasn't much, but kept us busy for hours. You'd be amazed at what you can do with bubble guns. Like, for instance, create the world's largest bubble.

But that gets me thinking how much fun it is to create. Though, in the true definition of the word, what we did, and what we normally do, isn't exactly ex nihilo (because I stand atop the shoulders of giants). I do think, though, it's a lost art. Whether it be from creating games to play on porch at a birthday party to coming up with that innovative and new idea, we need to be doing more of it.

The thing of it is: I'm not sure that new and innovative idea is out there. I think creating the world's largest bubble might have been the last of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe it was Isaac Newton who made the comment about standing on the shoulders of giants. About the creative act, it is lived out in the lives of children each day. Watch them at play, listen to them talk, sit with them underneath the stars. We as adults are vestiges (sic) of those days when wonder was acceptable and day dreaming a gift of God.

Anonymous said...

"What Des-Cartes did was a good step. You have added much several
ways, & especially in taking ye colours of thin plates into philosophical consideration. If I have seen further it is by standing on ye shoulders
of Giants."
--Newton to Hooke, 5 Feb. 1676;

AaronG said...

You are both right and I have changed the link. Wow. I think I just got "Dan Rather"-ed.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»