Friday, June 09, 2006

One Game Changes Everything

The World Cup. Once every 4 years it's played. This time around: It's in Germany. It starts today.

Now I realize, for most of us, soccer is not a validated sport here in America. And I know everyone realizes that. But this event is huge. The competition, the pride, the skill on display is unlike any other event in the world. If you even remotely like sports, then watching the World Cup will make you more than a casual enthusiast. When you realize more's at stake than money. When countries are involved, when wars are halted, when a world unites, if that doesn't fire some type of adrenaline rush in you to watch this thing, then you're this guy (and by that I mean dead, not a terrorist. Geez.)

And I know I sound like an ESPN ad (which by the way ESPN.com has a sweet Flash Player set-up for every team you need to check out along with those much heralded ads).

The thing of it is: By far, this is the U.S.'s best shot at the Cup. Ever. I'm not saying they'll win, I'm just saying there's a chance. And that's my pitch for you to watch the World Cup.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grasshopper, "when wars are halted, when a world unites" these ideas will never occur in this life.
Thankfully, we have an individual now doing the backstroke on the Lake of Fire.

AaronG said...

You're right. But still....Although after posting I remembered the '94 World Cup and the player for a South American Country (Columbia? Uruguay?) who was killed for an own goal against the U.S.

Anonymous said...

It was a long 21 hour straight drive to arrive home in time for the 1994 cup final. The Gas: not as much as today. The travel: tiring. The 'Are we home yet' complaints: deafening. Watching the final game in front of the TV: priceless!!

AaronG said...

Of course there was that Baggio moment! But yeah, I recounted that journey to the Mrs the other day.