Saturday, June 17, 2006

Greatest U.S. Performance Since 1812

Got done watching the U.S. take it to Italy this afternoon. Sure, I was supposed to be working...and I was...but this is the World Cup. It happens once every four years. I work 5 times a week.

Well, you can't comment on the game without offering an opinion on the referring. Let's just say Will Ferrell's got the idea. Can't say I didn't want to kick the ref and leave him screaming. But, somehow, despite ALL that, (And by ALL that for those that didn't watch the game: I mean two red cards against the U.S. leaving them down a man) the U.S. still showed up. They rallied. They attacked. They pressured. And they played beside themselves (read: The Divine Madness). They took it to a world power in Italy, and took it to them with one man down. It was a glorious day for U.S. soccer. And it did more for the sport than Ferrell did.

Now, many people, like a co-worker, believe that anything that ends in a tie is not a sport. I don't counter very well to that. It's obvious that those in the U.S. who fail to see the significance of this sport, world-wide, drastically underestimate it's pull. And they seem to forget that patriotism can be a very positive idea. One that can be respected by other patriots in other countries. And in soccer, in the World Cup, there is nothing purer in form or in substance, than patriotism.

Except a 1-1 tie with Italy.

The thing of it is: Yes. I'll say it: I'm proud to be an American! Great job U.S.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am willing to guess that more people in the United States can name more people in the US Open golf field, than they can name members of the US World Cup soccer team

AaronG said...

And I add an adendum to the current post:

Many American's may not like soccer. In fact, more people probably don't like soccer than do.
But in the word's of Plato: "Just because they are a majority, does not make them right."

Anonymous said...

Ronaldo para Presidente!!!!

Anonymous said...

Didn't see the game
Anything but tame
Kickin' hard that ball
Against gumba and bad calls

Anonymous said...

And this man that is called the official was suspended for four years for making bad calls and for not being consistent with his calls. Nice that he just happens to come back to work for this game! Over all a good game. They did indeed show up.

Anonymous said...

In response to the "to the Mrs." post last month:
"I always knew that after I became a doctor, I would dump whoever I was with and find someone better. That's the dream of becoming a doctor."
- Ben, to Elaine, in "The Abstinence"

AaronG said...

That wasn't a very nice post. Not surprised the poster was anon.

Anyway, go U.S. Congrats to Dwayne Wayne and Heat (That Championship looks mighty good next to my Heat Basketball I just won at Kings Island).

More posts to come. But I'm tired.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this matters much but Antoine Walker won a Championship ring as a back-up team player. Those years with the Celtics finally paid off. Don't forget to bring the trophy to Boston and the fans who supported you in Beantown. After all, the great Ray Borque did when Colorado won the Stanley Cup. Hey, Boston Celtics management: Here's in your face!!!!