Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Games I Used To Play

An addendum to this previous post. I was reminded last night while watching some guy name Melky get jiggy on a homerun ball by Manny in the Sox-Yanks game. As a result, we ended up losing the game. But it's plays like that you've just got to tip your hat. You gave it your best shot and so did they, and they just ended up on top. Still, I hate the Yankees.

Anyway, so back to that addendum. My brother and I used to play a game as kids; one we invented. We called it: Awesome Catches! Essentially it involved throwing a tennis ball so it would just clear the fence in our backyard. And then it became the responsibility of the fielder to "rob" the ball from going over. Much the same as what that guy named Melky did last night. And like any good game... it evolved into not only "robbing homeruns" but also throwing the ball in such a way as to force the fielder to dive for it. We felt by doing that as well, we were still being true to the title of the game.

The thing of it is: We stopped playing after Hurricane Bob destroyed our neighbors fence. But I'd still call in sick to play it any day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the ball, you get the fence
Let's Go!

AaronG said...

We can use anything as a fence. Heck, you can even use a brick wall, that way if you miss it, it bounces back and you don't have to chase it. When you wanna play.

The Tall One said...

i used to play that too. sometimes when my friends didn't get the same satisfaction from it as i did, i would play it by myself, tossing the ball up to the top of the fence and snagging it back. goog times, good times!!!