Friday, April 28, 2006

If I Ever Come Back

I'm going to Fenway. The Mrs. and me. Why Fenway? Why not Jacobs Field this past week? Tickets were certainly cheaper than I what I ended up paying. Hopefully, the outcome will be better. But Fenway; the chance to see a game again at the oldest park in the league? Where the seats are rarely facing the plate? (Although ours are, it was a requirement)

Watching a game at Fenway is like taking a trip back in time. Sometimes you get that deja vu feeling in life; that you've done something you're doing before. That's heightened at Fenway. The small confines, the fans, the team, and the game itself, all contribute to this feeling that, while maybe you've not done this before, others have. That's the feeling; that's the experience you get watching a Sox game at Fenway. You've somehow entered into this collective memory, this united perspective, that so few and yet so many have been a part of over the years.

For instance, my dad, uncle and grandfather were at Ted Williams' last game. I once saw a one-hit shut-out. I've seen Pedro, Evans, Clemens, Rice, Vaughn, Ramirez, Garciparra and hundreds of others play at Fenway. Others have seen Williams, Yaz, Ruth, Doerr, Boomer (not Wells), Tiant all play at Fenway. Great players have graced the green grass, gazed upon the green walls, and stood atop the steps and just listened to the game, to the fans.

The sights are nothing new, I've been to hundreds of games. But each time, you get the feeling someone new, someone else has experienced it for the first time, or in some way new. And so your experience that day is different, enhanced. Fenway stores up those experiences for fans and players to call upon each time they see a game. Maybe that's why it feels so small sometime, because it's so much bigger and full of something more than just grass, walls and balls. It's filled with experiences. And seeing a game, just one game, at Fenway, is an experience.

That's why I love Fenway.

The thing of it is: this is the Mrs.' first trip to Fenway. My first trip in four years. Go Sox.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the enjoyment of attending a Red Sox game abates, please give me your tickets.

AaronG said...

I sure will. But, obviously, it won't.

Anonymous said...

If the Red Sox tickets become to heavy to carry from Ohio send them to me I will exchange them for two Cardinal tickets.Right about Ted Williams Last game.Good job
oobm

Anonymous said...

The name is enough to jar the memory of Fenway Park, even the hot dog fight in the bleachers!

Anonymous said...

GO TRIBE...15-3 to take the series!!!!

Anonymous said...

If you've never been to Wrigley Field, and you like the feeling of watching at Fenway Park, I highly suggest a day-trip to Chicago in July.

Get bleacher seats, don't get bleacher seats, it matters not.

There's nothing like it.

Even though I bought tickets to a game I couldn't go to, I will make my yearly pilgrimage to Wrigley.

Anonymous said...

I must give a nod of appreciation to the fact that you are taking the Mrs to Fenway Pak. I did with my Mrs. some time ago AND IT WORKED...SHE IS A YANKEE FAN!!!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
Assimulation of the unexpected
Unconverted Yankee Fan 2
Sox...boo hoo 0