Wednesday, April 25, 2007

On Turning Another Year Older

I'm 27 today. Another year older. As wise beyond my years as I am, there are still several things I am unable to do:

1. Grow facial hair.
2. Dunk a basketball.
3. Sing.
4. Retire.
5. Run a 5-minute mile.
6. Drive a golf ball 300 yards.
7. Read Summa Theologica.
8. Use tools to build something.
9. Fly a plane.
10. Did I mention grow facial hair? Of all the things, that's my most embarrassing failure.

Sure there are things I am able to do. Like be a dad. Be a husband. Be a friend. Be a writer. Be an athlete. Be a fan. Be a believer. Be a comedian. Be a director. Be blessed. Be stupid. Be sensitive. Be witty. Be dumb as a box of rocks. Be observant.

At 27 I know I'm young. But I'm another year older. Being able to say I'm still young isn't going to last too much longer.

Happy Birthday to me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are very few people that can hit a drive of 300 yards. My best was about 250 yards and eagled the hole, thank you very much.
Happy Birthday and enjoy the day.

J Dog said...

Here is one way to drive a ball over 300 yards. You need to put the ball in your hand, start you car put it into drive and drive till you have gone over 300 yards... happy birthday. I've driven a golf ball 451 miles doing that... I am AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I prefer going to the 19th hole after a round of golf, getting blasted and adjusting my golf card.

Anonymous said...

You have to stop teeing off with your 5-iron!!!

Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

At 50 you are at the old age of being young but at the young age of being old. You are still but a grasshopper in a yard full of locusts...whatever that means.

Oh, and by the way, did you forget that you are also a fan of the 2004 WC Boston Red Sox? Not maany have been able to claim that over the years.
Happy Birthday

Anonymous said...

well i cant grow hair on my legs

Anonymous said...

i'm 16 and caan grow hair on my face! Well it is more like neck hair that is gross and I shave when I see it. ugh!
Well happy birthday! I sang to you on the phone though.

sara* said...

Hope you had a magnificent day!