Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Morning? Or Good Night?

Started my new job this week (more on that to come). And with it comes the possibility of being called into work early. Like today. At 3:30AM. No problem. Nothing a large cup of coffee and some donuts can't fix.

But it was an unusual morning at Tim Horton's. Maybe because I'm tired do I find this humorous. I pull up to the drive thru. I hear: "Please take a moment to look at the menu and I'll be right with you." Seems I've caught the lone worker at a bad time. I choose not to focus on those possibilities. But "please take a moment to look at the menu"? It's 3:30AM. It's 29 Degrees out. Is that the time of day you'd expect a person to need time to decide between a 12 seed bagel and the Wal-Mart version of the Mocha Frappacuino? You're the only coffee shop open this early. What else would I be getting? The worker was nice, though. She apologized for the wait and as she handed me my donut, suggested pleasantly that I have a "Good Morning, Sir." At what point during the night does it switch over to morning? I've got to tell you, at 3:30AM it still feels like the middle of the freaking night.

Another funny anecdote involving those in the service industry:

The wife was at Wal-Mart getting pictures. She asked the attendant at the photo desk if they were ready. He said they weren't. The Mrs. replied that the order was supposed to be filled today. He said they usually don't come in until 4pm.

Mrs.: "It's 10 of 4 now. Any chance they're here already?"
Attendant: "What time is it?"
Mrs.: "Uh, 10 of 4."
Attendant: "Shoot!"

At which point the gentlemen grabs a bag under the counter and takes off running towards the entrance, leaving my wife standing alone at the desk. She used the time to "Take a look at the menu."

Also, there was another incident with Isaac yesterday. I know he's already embarrassed by his old man here on the blog, but it was the first time he soaked me. Cleared the top of the tub and a direct hit all down the left side of my shirt. I handled it like a pro. But he timed the hit perfectly, waiting until I had turned to shut the water off. That's my boy.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. My day started at 0315 when the fire came in (oh and for your personal information it is the middle of the night). We arrive at the apartments only to find a pot on the stove (Unattended cooking). Can you believe someone was cooking at 315 in the morning and fell asleep? Unreal. Anyway a much better smell then something leaking on to me. But I stunk like burnt food. Nothing for me to eat. Had to wait to get back to the station and had a Coke to wash the taste away!!

I can remember my Mrs. Dealing with my oldest and we just tossed things into the trash. Not worth putting the washing machine through the trouble!!

As far as Wal-Mart – Mrs. is on her way there now to pick up a few things. Wal-Mart is Wal-Mart – “You take the good you take the bad”

Anonymous said...

Stay away from those donuts or we will be seeing on the Jenny Craig advertisement's.
Early morning is the best time of day.

Anonymous said...

The landscaping along the roads of the Capital district has been perfectly planned for the wearied driver at any time of day. There are, at last count, 109 Dunkin Donuts Shops with #110 opening just 2 miles down the road. This means there are three DD on the way to work each morning and on the way home each night. There are three for the Art Bell transportation plan. There are 25 for the Chritmas K Plan.

With all that, I pulled up to a Drive Thru to order an Old Fashioned Donut (plain is easier to say but the word gets lost in translation) and a Large Regular ('Sugar and Cream' Sir?) only to see the attendant reach out and aggressively pet a dog with her glove covered hand...and I had just ordered. What should I have done? What did I do?

Anonymous said...

Dear Isaac,

Did I detect a giggle as you initiated dear Dad!

Grandpa

Anonymous said...

what does 10 of 4 mean? Jenny doesn't 10 of 4!

Anonymous said...

oldman it depends a lot on the type of dog - long or short hair.

Then you need to think aboout a few other things.

1. it is hunting season
2. is the car or truck clean or dirty
3. is the person that is touching the dog also putting together your order or just taking your money.

Now the real question is - are you going to go back to that one or hit one of the 4 others?

The choice is up to you.

Good luck

Anonymous said...

It is rough getting up at that hour but I did it for many years you something that is the best time of day. The OldMan I hope you did the right ting when she patted the dog at least I hope you did.As for Isaac get use to it you did that many times when we were babysitting. Love OOBNA

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, I wear gloves while waiting on the general public. With my gloves on I can pick my nose, pat your dog, run my hand through my hair and go to the bathroom. Sir, would you like your donut now?
When I have encountered each of the above incidents I do not move forward with the purchase. If I paid first and see this then I demand a full refund. Even better, demand a full refund then claim you have been sickened by this experience and ask for the item for free. Just make sure that they remove their gloves, wash their hands and don't spit in your coffee.

Anonymous said...

Well, you are all a better people than I am. I took the donut...it was a hairy moment. The coffee was OK but a bit ruff.

Anonymous said...

may the force be with you

J Dog said...

I understand the good morning thing. For the past 4 months I have been working Saturdays and Sundays 2am-11am. I usually stop at the same gas station and inside the store it's generally three drunks, me and hte guy working the store. Every week I wonder if he thinks I'm one of the drunks or can he tell that I am sober and going into work.

Anonymous said...

The OLDMAN, I don't believe you took it and ate it and what worst you paid for it.I am surprise.OOBNA

Anonymous said...

Grandpa,

Yeah, I'm still getting used to using the whole "dad" moniker. By the way, I got him pretty good when his back was turned. I call it payback for "airing my dirty laundry" so to speak.

Godspeed,

Isaac.