Friday, April 27, 2007

O Brother...

There are few events in life that make one feel older. That make one realize things aren't the way they were or the way they've been. For many, and for me, one of those events is a birthday, which I had this week. Another is the announcement that a sibling is getting married. Also, that happened to me this week.

My brother is getting married. For those of you that know my brother, I'll give you a moment to get over the shock that: 1) Steve Guest is going to have a wife and 2) That feeling that you're older than you thought.

I'm excited about this. And why shouldn't I be, he's my little brother. We shared a room growing up. Later, shared two attic rooms, even removing the door into mine so we could share the experience. We watched tv shows we weren't allowed to watch together. We rigged cable into my room. My friends were his friends and vice-a-versa. We even look extremely similar. Now, we'll both be married to amazing women.

Of course, I realize how much my brother and I are not alike anymore. No longer sharing rooms or cities or states together. We're barely in the same time zone. But all this is a very good thing. I would not want my brother to be me. Or to be like me. Or to want to be like me. It's nice to dress up in similar outfits with the same sneakers in 4th grade. Not cool at 27.

I still see him with glasses. Sporting an afro. Wearing the same shirt for the 34th consecutive day (Will that shirt be worn at the wedding... we'll see). Eating Peanut Butter and Fluff sandwiches. Despising Green Beans. Dunking with authority on a 5-foot rim. Punching me in the face because I made fun of him. I see him how I have always seen him. Not crying at a funeral. Not graduating from the Coast Guard. Not going off to Iraq. Not in love with a girl. Not engaged. Not getting married. Not as a man, as my little brother.

But I am old.

I am looking forward to "best manning" this thing. If you were at my wedding, you can rest assure that all efforts to repay the embarrassment I incurred will be repayed. Ten-fold. That little punk... I'm still bitter. But happy. Very. Very. Very. Happy.

Congratulations Steve. I love you.

2 comments:

sara* said...

you're right. i feel old.

Steve Carroll said...

Aaron you will never compare to Your Brother's Prewedding speach! I don't think anyone will compare to his pre wedding words. I truly believe he was supernaturally inspired!!!