Tuesday, April 03, 2007

On Opening Day

Yesterday was the day I had looked forward to since last July. Not only because it was Opening Day, but because it was my first Opening Day with my son. Growing up we always celebrated Opening Day as a family. Either we got out of school early, or we raced home to see the game (one time I snuck head phones into a last period Communication class to listen to the game against the Twins. The game the Sox won on an Opening Day walk off grand slam). It was a holiday at our house. Complete with everything you'd find at the ballpark: hot dogs, soda, ice cream sandwiches, Italian sausages.

I've carried on that tradition since I moved out of the house. Yesterday: hot dogs, soda, mac & cheese (which I think they probably serve at stadiums now). I have every intention of keeping the tradition intact (unlike the naming of first sons and second sons in my family. Sorry Grandpa). Even the Mrs. was excited she'd be home in time to see the game when I told her the start time changed.

Baseball is a good thing.

Anyway, it wasn't a particularly good game. A 7-1 loss to the Royals. The Royals. Whatever. But even the youngest member of Red Sox Nation knows it's a long season, so there's no reason to get worked up.


Me, however, I'd be lying if I said this picture didn't get me a little worked up.

EDITORS NOTE: THIS IS HIS SECOND RED SOX OUTFIT OF THE DAY. THERE WAS AN INCIDENT WITH HIM AND HIS FIRST OUTFIT.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is BEAUTIFUL and he really look like he was enjoying the game. Give him Hugs and KissesOOBNA

Anonymous said...

We watched the game here also. Didn’t take the kids out of school early not yet anyway that is for the future I guess but we also had the ballpark food no Mac and cheese but everything else. Looking forward to the next game. Trying to talk the Mrs. Into letting me get the Comcast baseball package. Not as of today!!! Keep praying!!

Anonymous said...

how do you know he is the youngest? someone could have just had a baby yesterday and forcing that child to watch the game. I believe it is somewhat wrong to force traditions and different interest of the parents on the child. You know what would be really funny?
If he grows up and becomes a peyton manning fan or worse a Yankee fan!
oh how could i speak of such blasphemy?

Anonymous said...

P.S. this incident you speak of could be evidence of dispite towards the red sox!

Anonymous said...

Always remember the 1986 game when we had the series in our pocket. The "incident" heard round the world.

sara* said...

not a particularly good game?! it was horrid. but i was happy to see the season start nonetheless.

he's precious. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron,
My goodness what have I missed! My computer has been on the blink for what I thought was a few weeks (but it must be longer)and I see you have a son! wow. He is beautiful and you and your wife must be so happy. Congratulations to you both - that is such good news.

Much love
Catherine (Scotland)

Anonymous said...

Yes, opening day at the oldman's home was the tradtional fare: hotdogs/home-made fries/soda and a Klondike. It is baseball, so what of the first game! It is baseball. I am proud to see the tradition continue. Seeing Isaac in his official uniform makes a grandpa proud. OK, it was the second uniform of the day due to fielding error. But, it's baseball! Welcome Isaac.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous we do not talk of that "incident"

Anonymous said...

Yes, anonymous, that 'incident' has forever been washed in the celebration of 2004!

Anonymous said...

The 'incident' was never washed away. We had seen the 'incident' slip through our legs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad!

Thanks for outing my "little incident" to everyone. I'm a baby, I can't help it!

How about a little sensitivity next time?

-Isaac.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - Must you help us re-live this 'incident' over and over as Isaac has requested how about a little sensitivity.

Anonymous said...

Isaac,

In true Red Sox Nation fashion, dedicate the next 'incident' to all Yankee players and their fans

Anonymous said...

BOSTON -- It was 40 seasons ago that a Red Sox team, led by a rookie manager, defied all expectations by winning the American League pennant and in the process, the hearts of New England baseball fans.
That 1967 club, which accomplished the "Impossible Dream," will be honored prior to the Red Sox 2007 home opener on Tuesday, April 10, when Boston hosts the Seattle Mariners at 2:05 p.m., it was announced today.

In what will be the first event in a season-long tribute to the 1967 Red Sox, over 20 members of the club that went from ninth place in 1966 to Boston's first pennant in 21 years will be introduced on-field and participate in the first pitch ceremony.

Anonymous said...

The above came from Bostonredsox.com

Anonymous said...

Yes, and I was glued to every pitch lsitening to the radio on the front steps of my home in East Boston...
Carl Yastremski
Carl Yastremski
Carl Yastremski
The man they call Yaz

PS There will also be a new section at Fenway called Conigliaro's Corner!

Anonymous said...

Yes, and I was glued to every pitch lsitening to the radio on the front steps of my home in East Boston...
Carl Yastremski
Carl Yastremski
Carl Yastremski
The man they call Yaz

PS There will also be a new section at Fenway called Conigliaro's Corner!

Anonymous said...

Just to blow your mind aaron,
I BENCH PRESSED 850 LBS. TODAY!!!