Saturday, April 21, 2007

Because They Can't All Be Exciting...

Not everyday is "ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatum". So I'm blogging what has been a very mundane, banal and rather commonplace set of affairs I will remember as April 21, 2007.

3:15am: Wake up and get ready for work.

3:25am: Can't decide what shirt to wear. Definitely wearing the jeans with the sewn hole in the seat and my new Asics. Maybe a brown shirt. I go with the brown shirt.

3:40am: Stop off for some Mini-Muffins, Frappucino and Orange Juice. I've stopped drinking straight coffee that early in the morning. Doesn't tend to bode well later on.

3:45am - 12:00pm: Work.

4:15am: Finish a 10-minute recap of a dramatic Red Sox game. I hate the Yankees. I also scare my co-workers who are half-awake. They're not used to having somebody yell and scream this early in the morning.

12:10pm: Decide to stop for lunch at Subway. 2nd time in three days now. 3rd time this week. Get the Spicy Italian. Tip: Don't buy into this whole Toasted Sub nonsense. First off, Quizno's has been doing it for a decade. Secondly, it merges all the meat and cheese flavors together. It's like drinking wine in same glass as chocolate milk.

12:30pm: Get home and decide to straighten up the place. The Mrs. has been gone less than 36 hours and the apartments a mess. She's the greatest, I'm telling you. Me. Not so much.

12:45pm: Turn on Flyboys with James Franco. Watching it on my computer cause they took the T.V. to fix that high-pitched squeal that's annoying everyone in a two block radius.

1:55pm: Realtor calls. Yesterday our offer on the home was rejected. Not only that, but the seller of said home wanted to move into a bigger home but hadn't applied for financing despite having the home on the market for 4+ months. They were rejected and were going to have to take the home off the market. Today, they got the financing, but were asking list price without closing costs. A contingency because of financing. Um. Thanks for playing but no thanks. Back to square one and we begin to look for homes again.

2:00pm: Discuss my decision with the wife. We're kismet. She begins to brag about how nice it is in Florida. Yeah. It's 68 and cloudless here, so, uh, not so much. One of those slight breezes is blowing too as I talk on the phone outside. But I'd give it all away to be with her right now in Antarctica.

2:10pm: Go back to the movie which is terrible at this point and it's still got an hour left.

2:40pm: Interrupted again. For some reason I stop the movie instead of letting it play. It's the Mrs. She wants to discuss some things she's found for my sisters for their birthdays. I assure her what she wants to get them is ugly. She laughs.

3:00pm: Movie is finally over. Gosh, what a terrible movie.

3:05pm: Decide to go get my haircut. I get out to the car and realize I've forgotten my wallet so I have to walk 50 yards back to the apartment.

3:20pm: Get my haircut. Same haircut I've had for 15 years. The guy in front of me pays but forgets to use his $4 coupon. He gives it to me. Making my haircut now a whopping $7.50. Remember that movie. You know, the one with Helen Hunt and Kevin Spacey. I've never been one to adopt a movie's philosophy but now is as good as a time as any. The hairdresser gets a $4 tip. Suppose the Pay It Forward thing to do would've been the $4 plus my normal tip. It was a stupid movie anyway.

3:30pm: Decide to blog about my day.

3:32pm: Begin blogging about my day.

3:55pm: Successfully execute my plan. Kill about 30 minutes before the Red Sox-Yankees game. I'll be listening to it on MLB Gameday audio since I don't have a television right now.

Predicting the future:

4:00pm - 7:00pm: The Red Sox. A cup of coffee. A book. A slight breeze. A cloudless sky. An itchy neck. A bowl of cereal. A few streams of sunlight. My afternoon passing quietly and majestically a hot air balloon over the countryside.

7:30pm: A goodnight phone call from the Mrs. The one who has my love. The one whom I miss. Sleep well, I'll tell her. "I love you."

7:45pm: Fall asleep under the fading sunlight of April 21, 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...the deal with Antartica...did you say that because you love cold weather, or because you love your wife?

PS: You should see Chris and Sara Worley's boy. Cute!

Anonymous said...

You wanna know what a terrible movie is? "Domino." It was so bad that I couldn't even finish it on my first attempt.