Friday, September 08, 2006

The Video Montage

Of course I was watching the premiere of the NFL season last night (In Hi-Def too, I might add -- it looks absolutely incredible!). First, you should know I'm riding the Daunte Culpepper Train in Fantasy Football this year. So I might be bitter throughout the season. Perhaps Nick Saban shall be his Virgil and lead him and the Dolphins to Paradisio (of course, like Dante, to get to Heaven you must go through a cold and frozen Inferno that bears an awful likeness to Foxborough in January.)

Second thing of note: Does anyone remember how to make a successful video montage? Pink? That was terrible. Just abominable. And nothing against rap music, I like a good rap song. But rap doesn't work in the video montage. Here's why: the song needs to build. It needs to drive. Rap songs don't do that (except on rare occasions; read: Eminem). You need a classic rock song. How about The Who classic Baba O'Reily (Yes, before it was the theme to Without a Trace, it was an actual song)? How about Rebel Yell by Billy Idol (I'm sure he'd love to be popular again)? Heck, even Styx's Come Sail Away would be better than Pink.

The thing of it is: Is this a lost art? Am I wrong? But I love a good rock song and it seems, like for video montages to start the game, a good rock song from years gone by (when they were making good rock songs) couldn't be a more perfect fit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. Remember when you were a little kid and the pregame montage would have you jumping off the couch before a huge game? It just doesn't happen anymore. I'm sure part of that is due to being older and seeing so many "cold opens" for big games. But the imagination and feel for what kind of music is appropriate is gone. Your boy, Simmons, hits on this every once and awhile.

by the way...

Best record in the entire NFL...PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Tiberius said...

It would be cool if Billy Idol was popular again!