Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Volley For The Ages

Much has been said, and much more will be said about today's final match of Andre Agassi's career. I recommended these two articles to start with. If there are others, please let me know. I enjoy good writing and moments, like today's at Arthur Ashe Stadium, was one that wrote itself. And that's a rare thing.

Still there is much to be said because there was much to this man. I grew up watching Agassi play. Not the Agassi we saw today, a much different Agassi. I watched him struggle, fall out of the Top 100. Then I watched a glorious return to his career. I don't think many people understand how tough it is to be a 36-year-old tennis star and be successful. It's unheard of.

Today there was plenty to hear and see. But there was much more to remember. And I'll still take it in for a few days. Let it out at moments, years from now, when some sports show is showing highlights. I'll remember this moment. I'll remember the epic battles with Sampras. My god, was there ever a better individual rivalry than those two, one that NEVER let you down.

There are few moments like these, this perhaps the greatest of 2006. When a man, with a career like Agassi's, with a huge heart and love and passion for life and flair for a simple game, is overcome. Overcome by the end.

You don't get past moments like today on center court. They cannot and shall not be overcome. Not by time, not by other moments, not by words.

No comments: