Sunday, July 23, 2006

With God On Our Side

(All apologies to Dylan for the title)

Turns out one of the candidates for governor here in Ohio graduated from the same seminary I am now attending. Does this mean I'll vote for him? He being a democrat and all! I'm not sure yet. (Or does this mean I'm going to a liberal seminary?) I did like his answers when it comes to Religion and God in politics more than his opponent. And though I am pretty much disillusioned by politics and thereby usually avoid the topic, it's come up enough recently that I've got some thoughts on it.

You see, I'm not a huge fan of invoking the whole God thing. In politics. In sports. At breakfast. I'm tired of hearing that this nation is founded on the basis of Christianity. Our founding fathers were Deists. T.J. even had his own bible. Read a history book.

All that I said it's not that I think Christians, Jews or Muslims shouldn't be involved in politics if they were to be "true" to their religion. Actually, I've got some respect for those that are involved. Politics are compromising. It can be very difficult on anyone's faith. A Christian Republican who says, "It's God's will that I be elected" doesn't have any more pull with God than a Christian Democrat. And I tire of hearing otherwise.

Let's not even get into the fact how I think religion is the catchphrase for politicians these days.

So how should faith and religion "govern" a politician? I don't know. I have enough trouble with faith and religion governing me.

The thing of it is: If you were God, who's side would you be on: Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really about the fruit they bare, that is, are they faithfully attending a Bible-based church? Do they serve in the church? Help in the community? Do they profess Jesus as Lord and Savior? That Jesus is God come in the flesh? What are they like when the cameras and mics are not in front of them? Where do they stand on major ethical and moral issues?

BY their fruit they shall be known.

Anonymous said...

"The thing of it is: if you were God, who's side would you be on."

My question is with God on your side who can be against you?

AaronG said...

The other person who claims God is also on his side. That's my whole point. All things being equal, if both sides claim God is on their side, who's side is God in on?

Of course he'd be on Tom Brady's side.

Anonymous said...

You are assuming too much to think that God can be on any 'one' side when it comes to US Politics. If there is any side He is on it is the side that looks at this whols system and laughs

Anonymous said...

Aarong,
Great post. How one joins religion and politics is an age-old dilemma. Constantine didn't help matters by wedding Christianity to the State, but I'm not sure the anabaptists got it right either by running away from politics altogether. Also, Luther was likely not right in trying to dichotomize what is religious and what is not.
With all of that said, I think the answer is that everyone comes to the political arena with his/her system of beliefs (call it religion or what you will). However, because we live in a pluralistic country, one must be cognizant of and respectful towards others who disagree. Beyond this point I have no answers. I think we're all still trying to figure out how to live in a pluralistic society - something the world hasn't been able to do very well yet, and something that has little precedence in the history of the world.

eric

AaronG said...

I've always thought God has a sense of humor, so I agree, there's no better fodder for comedy than the American Political system. But It's not a matter necessarily of who's side God is own. It's a matter of the candidates claiming God is on their side and not on the opponents...that it is God's will that so and so should win the election. Not only does that propose to know the "mind of God" but makes God and religion political...which as we know, it isn't.

As for eric, an excellent point about the pluralistic society. I agree with that and that's why I think religion and politics don't mix (or don't mix very well). While you enter in with your belief system...I think it's a belief system that has to be pluralistic. And I'm not sure you can follow Christ and be a pluralistic politician. You probably can, I mean it's possible, but it's a line you're always walking.

sara* said...

Um, Tom Brady of course... What a silly question.