Thursday, July 27, 2006

This Sounds Familiar

(For those of you are regular patrons at The Bird and Baby, I apologize for the repetition, but enjoy the added video links! For everyone else, you can figure out what that last sentence means by taking 10 minutes to read this entry and the subsequent comments.)

Don't know how much any of you know about string theory. Can't say I know a whole lot myself. In fact, most of what I know is third-hand information. It's not like I'm reading material on the subject, though Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" is sitting on the shelf just above my head. A must read, by the way.

In short, beneath all the atoms and quarks of the known universe there exist strings. Strings which vibrate and give rise to said quarks and atoms and then, me. Now this is highly theoretical science, and as the suggested link points out quite accurately, it's considered philosophy. Without delving into the pros and cons, let's just accept it as fact. This leads me to my idea:

I think string theory proves God likes music. If at life's most basic level, there are vibrating strings, then God's a musician. Probably a guitarist. (I think the cello might be too big for God.) And along those lines, the big bang makes sense. The only question that remains is if it was a G chord, or an D minor that ignited the world into being. I'm going with G because "D minor is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it" and I can't see God weeping at the creation of the world.

The thing of it is: I wonder what would've happened if God turned up the volume just a little bit, like, say, to 11?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful! And the guitar solo breaks out into a full orchestra! For an oldie but goodie on this, find Rick Wakeman's (keyboard for The Who?) 70's LP 'Journey to the Center of the Earth.'

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»