Friday, July 21, 2006

Wish That I Knew What I Know Now


This weekend I hope you all enjoy the British Open. And with Tiger's 65 today, it's always fun to watch someone crush the field. So it should provide hours of entertainment in the wee hours of Saturday and Sunday mornings.

And while you're watching, you'll see this, Tiger's new Nike ad. This new ad highlights the beauty of the sport. The beauty of the swing. The serenity of it. Note the violins.

It's not up there with last year's Faces song that featured a young Tiger playing the British open. It illustrated the idea of child-like joy. It still makes me ferklempt. Even just thinking about it.

The way Tiger consistently performs on tour, I think that child-like joy describes it. Reminds me of Chesterton's view of God in Orthodoxy. The persistent tendency to "do it again". Like children who never tire of watching The Wiggles video, over and over and over again. G.K. poses the idea that God never tires of creating. And does it anew each morning. From each blade of grass to each sunrise to each drop of dew. It's a persistency we only see mirrored in kids. We, in our old age, have grown weary.

I don't enjoy that ad because it reminds me of God in anyway. I enjoy the ad because it's fun.

The thing of it is: I'm not sure I could watch it over and over and over again. But I'm just an old-fuddy-duddy.

5 comments:

sara* said...

Well hullo there Mr Guest! What a pleasant surprise!


Hope all's well...


OH! I just saw Damien Rice last night... and I'm gonna see Ray LaMontagne in three weeks - this is what you miss when you leave New England.

AaronG said...

Ray's coming here at the end of the month. Though I'm not much of a concert goer.

Anonymous said...

Nice article....connecting sports to the deeper things of life.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»