Tuesday, October 02, 2007

On Starbucks

Let's be clear: I'm not advocating or attempting to justify spending $3.95 for a cup of coffee. I'm really not. I think it's absurd, inane and just plain silly to spend that much. But then again I like doing stupid and silly and absurd things. So this morning, after a late but victorious night, I stopped off for a Venti Caffe Mocha.

Now I know I'm paying way more than I need to. Forget the fact that I've got coffee at home I could've made. Forget the fact that the gas station sells it real cheap or that it's free at work. Forget the fact Tim Horton's Cafe Mocha (only one F for Canandiens) is a buck and a half cheaper (though not as big and lacking a cool, motivating, mind-blowing quote). And I know, especially, above all else, that the coffee isn't really all that good. But I like Starbucks every now and then.

For starters, the service at our local area Starbucks is more than pleasant, more than timely, and tends to lead to conversation with employees. I once spent 10 minutes in the drive-thru at 5:15 in the morning talking about how it's not that bad to have to go into work that early. Secondly, today I got a free music download (Jokerman, Bob Dylan -- already own the CD). And to top it off I got a buy-one-get-one-free coupon too. And every now and then that's a nice thing.

I once read a expose on how Starbucks contributed to the benefits of post-modernism as far as communication goes. I can't quite remember the example and I'm not at home to look it up in the book and offer a summary (but here's the book. It's really quite good and worth the read). But it was a good analogy. Plus, there's the whole free trade issue. And I suppose that's a good thing to support.

But lest you think I'm justifying or disillusioning myself: I spent $3.95 for a cup of coffee that I could have made at home with my coffee maker and some Swiss Miss.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Starbucks rocks.. You can see Hippies there.. in their natural state..

Anonymous said...

Funny thing . . . I went to Starbucks this morning too, and I also received the free Dylan song. However, I didn't get the buy-one-get-one-free (not sure if it needs that many hyphens) coupon. I could have used it since I was buying something for another person. Of course, my kind gesture would not have looked so kind if I used a coupon, or would it have? I've always wondered about the etiquette of using a coupon.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and not to contradict you on your own blog, but I'm pretty sure the book you are referring to is "Who's Afraid of Postmodernism" by James K. A. Smith. Both are good books though.

AaronG said...

But did I read that particular book? Honestly I wasn't sure I had the right book and but I knew it wasn't the green one you gave me. I could very well be wrong and would not be surprised at all.

The one thing I do have you on is the buy-one-get-one-free. You can use that many hyphens in this context. That's the thing about hyphens, they always work.

And you're Dolphins stink. I'm certainly not wrong on that!

Anonymous said...

Wow, talk about weirdness. I too stopped at a Starbucks and got a cup of hot-burnt smell-java.
I did-not-get-a-coupon.
I-did-not -get-to converse.
I-did-not-get-a-small-cup-neither-did-I-a-big.
I-did-not-get-it-black.
I-did-not- get-it-sweet.
I-did-not-get-it -dark-but-I-did-get-it-with-half-n-half.

But they did have a sale on original Emily Dickenson hypens, so I picked up a few...don't you just love a bargin!

Anonymous said...

Aaron certainly has been influenced by Dickenson! Just ask him.

As for the Dolphins, I am about to the point where I might jump ship and become a Cowboys fan. I now live in Texas, and I try to pick up sports teams from every place I live. I realize this might look like me jumping on a bandwagon, and I certainly have never rooted for the Cowboys in the past, but I think they've got a good shot at winning it all this year so I've decided now's the time to become a fan (next year will be too late - then I will certainly be a bandwagoner - if you can let me make up a word - and use lots of hyphens - sorry).

AaronG said...

To quote the immortal and beloved Ms. Dickenson:

Eric's sports allegiances, like fame, are a fickle food.

Become a Pats fan. C'mon. The 'boys aren't that good. You realize you're hopping on Edsel right?

But seriously, those 'Cats look good.

Anonymous said...

Here is my theory on the Cats (i.e. KY Wildcats football). They're overrated right now. I'm totally rooting for them, and they have definately had a better season than they've had in a long time. But here's the problem with them being ranked #8. They have only beat two decent teams - Arkansas and Louisville. When they (barely) beat #5 Louisville, they were thrown into the top 20 as if they were suddenly a really good team. Well, since then, the nation has figured out that Louisville sucks this year. As for Arkansas, they're alright but they haven't beat anybody and they're not even ranked. So what I'm saying is that Kentucky has yet to prove themselves because they haven't played anyone. However, over the next three weekends they'll get their chance as they face #11 S. Carolina, #1 LSU, and #9 Florida respectively. I'll tell you what I really think about Kentucky in three weeks!

Anonymous said...

You know what's better thsn Starbucks??

The Cubs winning a World Series!

Anonymous said...

Go B.C.!