Monday, October 01, 2007

And Here We Go

Had I been a true blogger I would've posted the night the Red Sox clinched their first division title in 12 years. Don't think less of me. I was up, watching the Sox game that night. Then, I flipped over on MLB.tv to watch the end of the Yankee game. Even with 2 outs, the bases loaded and a former Red Sox at the plate, I was hopeful that the Orioles could erase a 3 run deficit. And when they did, I silently screamed so as not to wake the Mrs. or Isaac. With the bases loaded and 1 out and another ex-Sox at the plate in the 10th for the O's, I actually thought of getting Isaac up for this moment. I didn't. It was probably a good thing too, the way I reacted when Mora laid the bunt (BUNT!) down with two outs. That was a fantastic moment.

The Mrs. is out of town for the next couple of days with Isaac. She proffered that I should go golfing today. When I declined the invitation she was shocked. I said I had a paper to write and another book to finish. She replied that she'd be working the next several nights so I would have the evenings, after Isaac was asleep, to myself to get those things done. I still said no. She was shocked and tried to further convince me that I should go golfing this afternoon, that the work I had to get done could wait, saying, "Honestly, you'll have Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday night!" Finally I replied that I didn't have Wednesday night or Friday night.

"Why not?"

"The Red Sox are on."

She smiled and shook her head, not saying anything.

And what can you say? What can you write? How can you capture the anticipation? It's the like the long awaited release of the newest book by your favorite author or your favorite group releasing it's latest CD (Magic releases tomorrow, FYI). And you can't say how it'll turn out because, well, you just can't.

All you can do is curl up with it under a bible-black October night, or close your eyes and just listen.

Here we go.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go play golf!!

I was away over the weekend and did not watch the game on Saturday nor the Red Sox behavior afterwards.
I can deal with the celebration and spraying of booze in the locker room. What I saw and have read about their on field behavior after the game Saturday, repulses me. There is simply no reason at all for spraying booze into the faces of fans/children as they did. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!
Now I hope/wish and will yell for their defeat in the first round of the playoffs. Their BUMS!!!!!

AaronG said...

Whatever.

Papelbon's outfit was much more offensive.

Anonymous said...

Papelbon's outfit did not offend me in the least. Brought back many favorable memories of times spent at the YMCA. In fact, I started looking for my collection of Village People cd's.

Anonymous said...

Uhh.... Go Cubs!

Profound, ain't it?

Anonymous said...

The rest of the Baseball World can lie awake at night and repeat, 'If only...if only.' For the Mets it is a nightmare....good!

For a Red Sox fan, it is the day and the race is on.

Anonymous said...

I know its not baseball, but it will identify me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVjkTEIoJc

Anonymous said...

WHO DEY, WHO DEY,, WHO DEY SAY GONNA BEAT THEM BENGALS !!!!!

WAIT,,WERE WE TALKING BASEBALL ??
GO SOX !

Anonymous said...

Eamus Catuli

AC000000

GO CUBS!!!!!