Wednesday, September 26, 2007

For The Home Team

If you didn't grow up a sports fan, it's tough to understand the mindset, the obsession, the unparalleled devotion one can have towards a certain team. Questions on the efficacy of "rooting" for and espousing a collective "we" attitude towards a team seem inane. Obviously, you didn't hit the homerun or catch the pass or bury the jumper. But there's a misapprehension there. No one ever said we did those things. I don't believe I did those things, literally or figuratively. But my team did, our team did. And understanding the idea of a team is crucial towards this "sports fan" attitude.

I'm a Red Sox fan. We're a whole different psychological study. For 162 days and nights from April to September, I live and breathe the Red Sox. Follow the box scores. Question pitching changes, pitches themselves, the idea behind swinging with a 3-0 count and read countless articles filled with inane drivel about my team. I know a great deal about the Red Sox, and I don't even live in Boston. If I did, it would be much, much worse.

But back to this collective "we" in regards to rooting for the home team. The idea behind a team is a group of players pointed towards a goal of achieving some significant accomplishment within their respective sport. For the Royals, and let's be honest, it's not losing 100 games. For the Red Sox, it's winning the World Series. Where the "we" comes in is that we want the team to reach this goal. We share the same end. So we follow our team, extolling the decisions in the win and letting go vitriols in the loss. In this we become a part of the make-up of the team, in a very small sense, an honorary member. We may not be hitting or catching or scoring, but we're rooting for all of it. And that gives us a stake in it -- a dog in the fight. We devote a proportional amount of time and support -- sometimes too much-- and so we have every right to exclaim "we" won.

There's more to being a part of a team than being physically on the team. If you've ever lived in Boston, or spent a decent amount of time there, it's fascinating to watch how much the city -- for good or for bad-- hinges on the fate of the Sox. It hovers over every conversation, news of the team fills every sports page and radio broadcast. The city is the team and the team is the city. We do, unfortunately, a little more than "root, root, root" -- we obsess. But that's neither here nor there to this discussion.

A few weeks ago Ohio State opened their season against some awful team. I went out to grab a bite to eat near the stadium just around kickoff. There was a palpable excitement. Even in the people bringing groceries to their car, you could see it their eyes. It reminded me of Boston. A lot. Of course, CFB fans are stupid because achieving the ultimate goal never rests fully in their team's performance on the field. But I can at least sympathize and come alongside them in their passion -- however foolishly unfounded it is.

But I digress. Back to my point: Go Red Sox.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

'A Dog In The Fight' you say. Isn't that a bit to indicative of the iconic sports' fan...using a lesser creature as a symbol for violence. You could do better by saying,

'Crap in the Hopper'

At least for a Sox fan that is easily understood.

Go New York

AaronG said...

Actually, my use of that phrase comes from my current location in the American midwest. It's a popular idiom used by Indianaians [sic] (people from Indiana) -- or so I'm told.

Your examples is what I come to expect from Yankee fans.

Anonymous said...

I am afraid that the joys of being a Red Sox fan will soon bring tears. The team will choke, choke and then choke some more in the first round of the playoffs.
"A Dog in the fight" ?? An odd comment for a baseball fan. Are you sure that you did not mean football?

Anonymous said...

Just curious, was this written in response to what I posted a couple days ago? If not, it's an amazing coincidence.

AaronG said...

Yeah, it is actually. I meant to link to yours and let you know on your but I forgot to do both.

Anonymous said...

No, it's ok. I'm kind of glad you didn't. I was a tad harsh in my post, but I was a little put off that night by the way I was treated for not being that knowledgeable about sports.

Anonymous said...

Did you like how I lumped reporters in amongst the lowest forms of life? I really do believe that.