Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ready For Fantasy Football

Had my draft last night. Easily, one of my favorite things to do. I could do a fantasy football draft every day... well maybe that's hyperbole. But I like it a lot. Time to think on your feet; to stick to a game plan; to feel out the other competitors; to trash talk.

Really, there wasn't a lot of the latter last night. If I may speak humbly, I had the best line of the night after Drew Brees was selected very early in the second round: "Look I know it's the anniversary of Katrina, but that pick's ridiculous."

Why, you may ask? Our league is weighted almost against QBs: 50 yds = 1 pt; TD = 3 pts; INT = -1 pt. Meanwhile our league allows one the option of starting a third WR or just a TE. Outside of Gates, there's no TE worth his weight to start over a wideout. Yet, people were still taking TE over WR. RBs and WRs are the most coveted position in this league. Or should've been.

I drew the 2nd pick in the draft in this 12-team league. My strategery was simple: draft 2 RBs, 3 WR in the first 5 rounds; see if there was a good QB left for the 6th; then take a DEF or backup WR and RBs in the 7-10; under no circumstances fall in with the masses and take a K or DEF or QB too early; make sure I get good backups. Well, here's what I got and I'm quite proud, if (there's always an if) Portis stays healthy:

1. Stephen Jackson
2. Clinton Portis (if he's healthy... remember he went Top 5 in most drafts last year)
3. Chad Johnson
4. Andre Johnson
5. Hines Ward
6. Eli Manning (I hate this pick but there were no QBs left; I was eyeing Rivers)
7. Philadelphia
8. DeShaun Foster
9. Donte Stallworth
10. Kevin Jones (great pick if his leg holds up)
11. Rex Grossman
12. Matt Stover
13. Dominic Rhodes
14. Mike Furrey (I know Detriot's got Calvin now, but he was a 1,000+ yd receiver)
15. Leon Washington
16. Brady Quinn (for reasons I will make clear momentarily)

Not a bad draft. It's not like I've got sleepers. I've got a good mix of stars and backups. Foster and Jones could be steals. With Furrey, you just don't know. Stallworth could also be a good pickup. As for Eli -- let's just say I'd never name my kid Eli (though Jen likes the name) because I detest the Mannings so much. But he was the best QB left on the board.

As for Brady Quinn. Well, I do live in Ohio... But more than that, my team name is TomBradyManCrush and I thought I should have a Brady on my team. Plus, he could easily supplant Grossman or Manning before the season is over.

Winner of this league gets a free T-shirt. It's so worth it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only a U of M graduate would desert his team missing a pre-season game....

Anonymous said...

Fantasy Football with Brady Quinn as a pontential? I didn't know you can win with a bench warmer or a hold out. An Ohio State football player holding out for money in the NFL is...er...like some 15 year old not being able to answer a simple question on maps. Your team is last!

Anonymous said...

My team is awful...partly because I was stuck in middle-of-the-round hell and partly because my internet connection went out in rounds 9-11 and the computer picked me a kicker in the 9th...bummer.

1. (6) Frank Gore RB
2. (19) Antonio Gates TE
3. (30) Carnell Williams RB
4. (43) Plaxico Burress WR
5. (54) Santana Moss WR
6. (67) Matt Hasselbeck QB
7. (78) Bernard Berrian WR
8. (91) Adrian Peterson RB
9. (102) Robbie Gould K
10. (115) Denver DEF
11. (126) Brett Favre QB
12. (139) LaMont Jordan RB
13. (150) Reggie Williams WR
14. (163) Michael Jenkins WR
15. (174) Atlanta DEF
16. (187) James Jones WR

AaronG said...

Yeah, that's not the greatest team ever assmebled, but could get you some points.

The middle of the round picks do suck. I'd rather be at the bottom of the draft order, than the first or second pick, or middle of the round cause you can get multpile players that are good. After LaDaTom, there's no reason to want to be high in the draft.

But yeah, your teams not good. THough your backs are strong.