Thursday, August 16, 2007

It Was A Dark

There's this surreal quality about storms. And by storms I mean the teeth-rattling kind. The kind that wake you up in the night. The kind that you can see even with your eyes closed. Last night, Central Ohio was walloped. Isaac slept through it. But the Mrs. and I took a seat on the couch and opened the blinds.

Ever since I was a kid I have been fascinated by storms. By the lightning; the thunder; the danger. My dad and I used to watch them from our porch; in fact my father still gets up and sits either outside or in front of a window to watch them. I am like my father.

The lightning flashed and the thunder roared voraciously. Unrelenting activity. The rain pounded the west end of the house. I enjoyed this expose on evening rain. But I much more enjoyed experiencing it this morning. Blinking in fear when the lightning flashed. Clenched and on-alert for the thunder to follow. Following the rolling thunder across the ceiling. Feeling it when it finally dropped. It was a dark and stormy night.

And there is this surreal quality for those of us who enjoy a good thunderstorm. A raw and passionate glimpse of nature. Electric and loud; wet and windy; bright and clear. A glimpse at her soul. A look at her most dangerous moments. At her rage. At her temper. At her passion. When nature has a character; a personality; an identity. At her suffering in the hope of glory:

For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have GOT to lay off the acid bro !

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

You could turn the opening of a paper bag into a dramatic event.

But yeah, storms are cool to watch...from a distance.