Friday, August 10, 2007

Foreign Pick-Up Lines

I'm getting my hair(s) cut today when I hear this rather peculiar accent. It was the woman not cutting my hair. She was working on another gentleman's coif -- a middle-aged man who ran nursing homes out of Washington, D.C. for a living. She spoke eloquently. With a tinge of England and Ireland in her voice, but without the accent's natural rhythm. It was more guttural. More earthy. But not Scottish.

I assumed, in the end she was a stylist from England -- odd enough to find in the Grandview section of Columbus -- at a Great Clips no less. Quickly, I tried to place it. It didn't feel like an English brogue. Having worked with quite a few Brits, Celts, Scots and Kiwi's I tried to place her words on nursing homes into the mouths of those I had worked with. No luck.

Then the gentleman asked her where she was from. The answer to my inaudible inquiry at last! South Africa. Of course! I knew it was familiar. I knew it could be placed. South Africa!

In 2000 I spent 10+ weeks there on a mission trip with church. It was remarkable and amazing and trying and an unforgettable experience (except, obviously, for the accents). I remember little of the language however. Though I'm sure this woman before me spoke Afrikaans. That much I could place. Turns out the only language I remember from South Africa is Afrikaans.

Before I left in double aught, a friend who had been there before gave me some words to remember -- not telling me what they meant. One particular saying has stuck with me because of it's meaning. I won't phonetically write it out, nor try to spell it, only know that it was a pick up line, going something like this:

I am beautiful. Give me a kiss.

Of course, not knowing the meaning I decided to use it anyway. On the ladies. Let's just say it was a hit. With the Home League. And nursing homes.

5 comments:

djl said...

Turns out the only language I remember from South Africa is Afrikaans.

I'm a little disappointed you don't speak Xhosa.

Anonymous said...

The most effective foreign pick up "line" ever invented?? A ten dollar bill.

AaronG said...

I can't speak it. But I can pronounce it.

Anonymous said...

With the Home League...are you serious? I hope it was not at one of those camp weekends where there would be a line and a little toush grabbing.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Steve Carroll said...

"Ek es moi sun me" (I'll risk spelling is phonetically) it will probably come out better than most of my english spelling.

Dude that was the greatest joke ever. You owe me for it big time!!!

It's not my fault you only used it to charm the pensioners!!!

I had two "Bokke's" during mine 10 weeks in South Africaand both were receptive to the "common greeting" (that was before i met my wife!!!)