Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Sad Brave Eyes

Recently we've had to move Isaac to a new daycare/school (his sitter had a baby recently and is unable to watch him). It's more like a school than it is a daycare: Rules, curriculum, field trips. It's the end of whimsy, regardless of what it's called.

Anyway, dropping him off in the morning has become difficult. Not only for him, but for us as well. It's not the same. It lacks the emotional welcome we were used to -- he was used to. There are kids moving about, dragging bean bags, crying, eating snacks, parents moving in and out and teachers miraculously happy. Each day I drop him off I feel like this as he begins to cry the moment we enter the building. And the moment he sees me at the end of the day, it's more tears and not relieved, happy tears either.

Today, perhaps the saddest of all the days. He stopped crying as the teacher picked him up while I set out his essentials for the day. They looked out the window together near the door. As I left I turned to look at him. No crying, just quiet tears streaming down his cheeks and eyes that looked brave and sad.

I know it will take time to adjust, for all of us.

I don't know what that means.

No comments: