Tuesday, July 24, 2007

This Is What I'm Saying

It occurs to me that I frequently take the names of others in vain. Not that I'm technically breaking a commandment or anything, or plan to stop, but it still feels odd. So I'm pondering this morning the origins of the following saying, playing my own game of balderdash -- rather, malarky with them:

1. "Great Scott". I can't think of any great Scotts. Other than Scotty. I'm thinking the phrase refers more to great Scots. There've been a few of them. The creator and progenitors of the game of golf, Dr. Livingstone and this guy. Though I wonder if the term was intended more tongue-in-cheek by those cheeky British chaps. The Scots being their version, perhaps, of the American South.

2. "Geez Louise". I've got nothing clever for this one. Maybe Louisa May Alcott?

3. "Starvin Marvin". My thoughts immediately go back to this fellow from my childhood. Please get him some food.

4. "Jumpin' Jehosaphat". I'm sure this has Biblical overtones. In fact, I'm quite sure it does. Yet, I find irony in the expression. Obviously, Joe was really fat, so the fact that he was jumping was quite impressive, quite extraordinary.

5. "Even Steven". First off, I'm not sure how to spell it. Seeing as how there's an internal rhyme I went with the 'v', but it could just as easily be 'ph'. And I've got little to offer in this area. My guess is it's origins have more to do with it's congenial sound than any historical significance. The only famous Steven I know was the one who got stoned and maybe Stephen Foster.

6. "Johnny Come Lately". Another odd one. From Johnny Tremain? That song that talks about Johnny coming home again? Hurrah, hurrah.

These sayings are interesting. Idioms; colloquialisms were not sure how they came to be. We use them. Throw them out at moments of frustration or surprise. Yet everyone knows what they mean, just not why they mean what they mean. Sometimes, I just happen to wonder why.

I'm trying to come up with something for my name. So that years from now when people stub their toe, run into a wall or display great valor, they will use an antiquated expression, not quite sure what it means, but certain that it references someone great. For lack of something creative this morning, I'm going with: Ava Aaron.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To borrow a phrase


'An A-bomb from A-aron!

Anonymous said...

Even Stevens, is actually a Nashville composer who hails from West central Ohio. He's best known for "when you're in love with a beautiful woman" by Dr. Hook and multiple hits he wrote for Eddie rabbit in the 80's

Eric said...

How about "darin' Aaron"? I think it fits your personality. It could be used in the following way:
"The speed demon was driving 100 mph when he climbed the ramp and jumped over 10 school buses landing safely on the other side. He sure was a 'darin' Aaron."

Anonymous said...

you mean a 'darin' Erin.

AaronG said...

I like that. Darin Aaron. Well done, Eric. Well done.

J Dog said...

How could you forget this Scott. Dave Scott or as most know him.... 5