Sunday, July 01, 2007

On Having A Home

The move is complete. At least, the part that involved the transfer of everything we owned into the largest thing we've ever owned. There's still much, much work left to be done. "So little to do, so much time." Wait. Strike that. Reverse it. All apologies to my readers, but the blog takes a backseat to that.

It's quite a surreal feeling, owning a home. We've been in and out of our place for the last month: fixing walls, carpeting, washing floors, painting, etc.. But sleeping in the house last night, waking up early this morning and locking the doors as a stepped out into the chilled morning air, I looked out on the neighborhood that had a slight fog settling over it. I was leaving home.

On tap for today is the living room -- setting up all the entertainment related stuff, sofa, chairs and what not. Then it's off to the Man Store to by a grill so we can cook tonight. I'd already planned to get a nice grill sometime this week, but a faux pas on my part resulted in us not having any gas in the house, i.e. no hot water. So in order to avoid eating out for the 15th straight day, it's off to buy a grill. Then tonight, I imagine, we'll grill out, sit on the lawn and enjoy what should be a very nice evening.

Of course, for all that to happen, I have this little thing I must do that will set it all in motion. This simple, but slightly profound exertion on my part. This soon-to-be taken for granted practice. After I leave work: Go Home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, It is great to hear that You are All moved and now after everything is done You All can look back and say IT IS OUR'S Congratulations. We Pray That everthing will fall in place Our Pray's Love You All OOBNA

Anonymous said...

The only thing left out is the beer.. have a cold one on me.

Anonymous said...

The problem with "having a cold one" is that in many cases one is never enough. We may kid ourselfs into thinking otherwise. The trip to AA is paved with many people having said, "having a cold one".
Hello, my name is ______. Fill in your own name Mr/Ms "having a cold one".

Anonymous said...

When having a cold one, one must be responsible and have control. It is not that uncommon to only sit down and just have one (in my experience). However I see your point and take note that yes “The trip to AA is paved with many people having said, "Having a cold one". Thus I will refrain from using the _______mr/ms and take back my well wishes after a long hard days work because I do not want to influence the young parents.