Monday, June 04, 2007

You Look Nice

In my job, there's not an impetus on looking nice. Very few non-managers wear ties. Walk through the building and you're more likely to see an employee in jeans than a pressed shirt. For me, it's always jeans and a polo shirt -- sometimes even a nice t-shirt.

Today I decided to dress up a little. To tuck my shirt in. To match my belt with nice shoes. To wear a shirt that spends most of it's time on a hanger and not in my drawer. To shave. To not wear a hat. To wear khaki's. I'm not saying I'm dressed to the nines, but I'm considerably dressed up from my usual dressed down look. I even drank tea instead of coffee. Drank it Jean-Luc Picard style.

And I feel better today. I feel more alert. I feel on top of my surroundings, instead of just blending into them in a pair sneakers. My roommate in college stumbled across this phenomenon and for about a month dressed up to go to classes. Even at 8 in the morning. Of course, he could've gotten A's in sweatpants, but he claims he did much better during that time. What stopped it for him? Well, I think it was the week we decided to wear an odd article of clothing around just because (one day it was headphones with the plug hanging loosely at our side; another day it was butt-cut day).

I know there are studies that say dressing up increases productivity. But I've long been of the opinion that comfort takes precedence. I don't think LeBron's doing what he did last Thursday (a top-5 all-time playoff moment behind The Flu Game and Magic's 40+ in '80) in a suit. Of course, I've used this as an excuse to get lazy in my appearance.

For the work-a-day world that's moved from suit and tie to business casual to "as long as you're not naked", I'm beginning to alter my theory on how I should present myself. That I should look my best to be at my best. I realize that's some pretty heavy stuff for a Monday.

See what happens when you tuck in a shirt.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dress as a bum (oops, Homeless-American) and be treated like a bum (oops again, Homeless-American).

Eric said...

I'm surprised you remembered I dressed up for those few weeks in college. It really did change my mental awareness and even self-confidence. It also changed how people percieved me and treated me - as anonymous above has pointed out.

However, you forgot that it was not the odd article of clothing that stopped me but the week we decided to wear the same clothes everyday for 5 days straight just to see if anyone would notice. People noticed the smell, that's for sure.

AaronG said...

That's right. I knew it was something along those lines. That was pretty cool. We were all about the sociological studies. Man, I should do that nowadays.

J Dog said...

Any time I try to dress up i usually here: "When's the job interview?"

Anonymous said...

All this talk about dressing up reminds me that every day my work clothes are white an blue with a tint of red on the shoulders. I cannot wait to get home after a busy day and dress normally which often clothes that do not match. There is comfortability in variety.

Eric said...

true

Anonymous said...

I've been on both sides when it comes to manner of dress, and have seen no difference in my productivity whatsoever.

Besides, I don't make enough money to dress nicely on a consistent basis.