Sunday, June 17, 2007

On Father's Day

It's my first Father's Day. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to today and, actually, to this post. I've immensely enjoyed fatherhood. Loved being a dad. My entire life I've always wanted to be like my father. To model myself, my approach to life, my marriage and everything else I do on the example my father has and continues to provide for me. Something of which, Dad, I am forever grateful for. And this Father's Day, I am again, like my dad. I'm a dad.

There are moments to come that I will treasure. First words, first steps, first hit, first day of school, etc. But there has been one moment that has stood above it all for me and represented my favorite part of being a dad and also, the toughest and most imposing aspect of fatherhood.

A few weeks ago I returned home from work in the early afternoon. The Mrs. was upstairs with Isaac and had locked the screen door so I couldn't get in. Coming down the steps she had Isaac on her hip, saying to him, "Daddy's home, Daddy's home!" As she came up on the screen door she stopped and put Isaac up to the screen and I bent in and said, "Isaac, I'm home." All of a sudden his eyes got wide and blue. His lips curled out and he cackled, almost hiss-like, as he broke into the biggest and brightest smile. Either slightly embarrassed or extremely excited, he then buried his head right into Mom's shoulder, then put his hand on his face, looked back up at Mom and then looked right back at me. Still smiling. Still cackling. He knew I was home. He knew his Dad was home.

There are many examples of fatherhood. None greater than my Heavenly Father. There are many aspects to being a dad. But in that moment, what it meant to be a dad finally hit me. It was about recognition, for him and for me. In that moment, separated by a screen, he knew me as his Dad. As his father. And there is nothing greater, or bigger, or larger or better than being recognized as a Dad.

My role in his life was presented to me in all it's immensity and all it's glory, all it's challenges and all it's joy. I was Isaac's Dad. Charged to be a father to him, to bring to him everything I can. To teach him to throw a baseball. Teach him to respect his mother and women. To take care of everybody and everyone he can. Teach him to stand up and assert himself. To teach him to admit when he is wrong and make amends. To teach him to be a man.

In that moment, with his eyes bright and wide and blue, with his voice cackling, Isaac showed me my role in his life. Instantly overwhelming and yet exciting.

Fatherhood.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY AARON. YOU HAVE BEEN BLESSED AND WILL BE WATCHING ISAAC EACH DAY SEEING THE DIFFERENT THINGS HE WILL DO. lOVE yOU ALL.OOBNA AND OOBGP

Anonymous said...

As a side note to your wonderfull post. The opening paragraph stated your position very well. The true meaning of Fathers Day occurs every day thru both good and not so good days. The love and support that you will provide and was provided with occurs each and every day. Not just on a day designated by the card companies.
Happy Fathers Day.

Anonymous said...

Happy Fathers Day

Anonymous said...

HAPPY FATHER' DAY TO:

1. My father, OOBGP
2. My son, this blog's author
3. My son-in-law, bean46

And, BTW, a son, the newest dad, can make a dad no prouder than I am
after reading the blog.

Love you guys